Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New hobiest

+5
bonsaisr
Russell Coker
Randy_Davis
JimLewis
GeraldHeystek
9 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

New hobiest - Page 3 Empty Re: New hobiest

Post  fiona Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:48 pm

I have just done a very quick google search and it has yielded quite a number of decent sites promoting African trees. You may be interested in THIS ONE as he seems to be a beginner as well. (If you haven't worked out links yet, click on the words THIS ONE)

He is talking about growing your Celtis from seed but be aware that he gives no clear indication of a timescale for that. You're talking easily 5 years to get past the sapling stage.

Also - look at the two pictures in that particular blog post. The tree in the bright blue pot is what experienced bonsaists would consider material in training. It is (roughly) where you'd be after that 5 years of growing from seed. It is also fair to say that what he has got is a tree which I'd say has potential.

BUT, the other one is what we'd consider a "proper" bonsai. If you compare the two pictures then you are getting a snapshot of what bonsai is about - getting from a beginning to a decent (or even great) tree at the end of a long journey.

I'm not suggesting that guy has a great blog - I only gave it a brief lookover and it looks good but bear in mind he too is a recent beginner and not an expert. But what he has done is given me precisely the sort of comparison that I (probably most of us on here) would hope will help you see the difference between "starter" material and established bonsai.

I wouldn't mind having that established Celtis in my collection and if you can nurture your seedling to that point then you will have succeeded.

Last edited by fiona on Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  GeraldHeystek Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:11 pm

IT IS VERY HELP FULL. THANK YOU!!
GeraldHeystek
GeraldHeystek

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:24 pm

I know of one book on Bonsai written by a South African. I have heard that there are others -- which is another reason for you to get into contact with a SA bonsaiest or two.

The book I know about is "Bonsai Styles of the World" by Charles S. Ceronio. Mr. Ceronio is the pubisher, but it is available here in the United States, so you probably can find (or order) it in any bookstore. The ISBN is 0-620-32677-8

It's not really a how-to book, but has some very useful information in the back about what makes a potted tree a "bonsai."
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:37 pm

Celtis africana from seed in the ground, expect about 3 inches for a trunk diameter in a year. Pencil thick root does the same. Behaviour is similar to Celtis o. or l. never sure just which one I have.

Celtis africana in a zone 10 near the sea is almost evergreen.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  GeraldHeystek Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:06 am

how does one classify areas into zone's? i live inland on the highlands of South Africa.
GeraldHeystek
GeraldHeystek

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:43 am

Gerald,
just click on the below -

http://www.backyardgardener.com/zone/africa.html
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down