Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice on collected Privet

+5
Smithy
fiona
JimLewis
chris
Paul B (Scotland)
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Advice on collected Privet Empty Advice on collected Privet

Post  Paul B (Scotland) Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:12 am

This Privet stump was collected from my work car park / yard in November 2009.

Unfortunately the only soil I could use was the mud-like stuff that the stump was already growing in.
The growth was pretty poor last year, but it did survive. There are two live branches on which the buds have started moving already this year and a couple of buds ready to pop on the trunk.

I'd really like to get it into better soil, but I'm not sure whether to try repotting it this year or leave it for another year in the terrible soil that its in at the moment.

With the buds moving, I need to make a decision soon.

Any thoughts from anyone?

Advice on collected Privet P2180010

Advice on collected Privet P2180110

Advice on collected Privet P2180111
Paul B (Scotland)
Paul B (Scotland)

Back to top Go down

Advice on collected Privet Empty Re: Advice on collected Privet

Post  chris Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:26 am

Repot,Repot, Repot now

Hi Paul, there is nothing more to say, repot and it will just take off for you, its a nice bit of kit get it in some good medium control your growth and you will develop it within two seasons.

Regards Chris
chris
chris

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:31 am

Hello Paul, Chris is bang on. Your Privet may weaken further and finally die if it's health is not improved. A good open mix should help greatly.

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:13 pm

Just wash off the soil so there's no (or little) root loss.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:43 pm

Nice find, Paul.

Repot in a decent medium then leave it alone for a while. Harleyrider gave me one over a year ago and I'm only now considering touching it. It has grown like crazy in the meantime and given me loads of options.

(Hmm. I feel a bet coming on.)
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul B (Scotland) Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:00 pm

Thanks for the replies folks. The advice is much as I expected, the bad soil had to go.

I remember there not being much of a root system when I collected this, but, knowing that Privet are tough as old boots I decided to give it a try.

Here's what came out of the pot.. affraid

Advice on collected Privet P2270011

Everything I'm holding in my hands in the photo above is solid wood. There are lots of nice fibrous roots on the right hand side, just below the previous soil level and further fibrous roots round the back, again just below the previous soil level.
What concerns me is the 'white stuff'. It's on the end of each cut that was made to major roots when the tree was collected. It also seems to be spreading through the soil by a kind of root / web like system.

Anyone any ideas what this is?

Advice on collected Privet P2270012

Advice on collected Privet P2270013

Potted up in nice fast draining open mix. I'm confident that the root system can support it, but really worried about the 'white stuff'

Advice on collected Privet P2270014

Advice on collected Privet P2270015

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I'm always up for a bet Fiona - just aswell I didnt put anything on Celtic today!

Paul B (Scotland)
Paul B (Scotland)

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:51 pm

I collected a couple of privets which had lots of old rotted bits on like yours. I would guess it is mycelium growing on yours that was already in there when you collected it. I collected two next to each other and they both did this. It is trametes versicolor

Advice on collected Privet 0032
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:16 am

Hello Paul. That old soil is the cause of this problem. There doesn't appear to be any visible live root. Did you get all that soggy soil off before you potted it up? You have nothing to lose by taking it out of the pot again and washing all the old soil off.

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:24 pm

Harleyrider gave me one over a year ago and I'm only now considering touching it. It has grown like crazy in the meantime and given me loads of options.

I never touched her, Your Honour!
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:23 pm

Harleyrider wrote:
Harleyrider gave me one over a year ago and I'm only now considering touching it. It has grown like crazy in the meantime and given me loads of options.

I win the bet!!! I knew he wouldn't/couldn't let that one go unremarked. Advice on collected Privet Roflie12
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:04 pm

Sagginfrazzinrazzin......
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul B (Scotland) Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:12 pm

fiona wrote:
Harleyrider wrote:

I win the bet!!! I knew he wouldn't/couldn't let that one go unremarked. Advice on collected Privet Roflie12

Fiona - bet you a fiver you cant do it again Laughing

Steve - bet you a tenner Fiona does it again

Will - I've taken your advice and removed the stump from the pot, washed the soil off the roots and repotted it. I fear you're correct about the lack of live roots. I cut off the dead roots at the bottom and left the remaining roots nearer the soil level. I'm not so confident of it surviving now, but I think I've given it the best chance it can get.

I'll update in a couple of weeks.
Paul B (Scotland)
Paul B (Scotland)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:53 am

Hello Paul. Privet will root very easily and you stand a good chance of survival with a clean rootball and a free draining medium.

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:47 pm

Hi Paul. I collected several large Ligustrum stumps a couple of years ago (including the one Fiona now has). The one I keep taking to Burrs (the Fencepost) has a rootball around 10ins in diameter, none of which was smaller than 1/2 in dia on collection, no fine roots at all. After a first year of very little new growth, the tree suddenly put on a spurt towards the end of last year and now sports dozens of new shoots/branches and lots of fine feeder roots sprouting from every available surface below soil.

I wouldn't give up hope just yet mate. Those Privet are damn near impossible to kill!

Did you add a little hormone rooting powder to the soil mix?
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul B (Scotland) Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:51 pm

Hi Steve,

Your post and Will's last post have given me hope for its survival. I'll post the results in a few weeks.

I didn't add any rooting hormone to the soil mix - I didn't even think to do it. It's a good tip and I wish I had read your post before I left the house this morning. I've just collected 3 nice Elm stumps from the works yard and I'll be potting them up at my club meeting tonight. I've got a huge bag of nice open, fast draining soil with me, but no rooting hormone. All 3 of the Elms have pretty good root systems, so hopefully they'll be OK.

I remember seeing your Privet at Burrs (before and after Makita Bob's treatment) and I've seen the one in Fiona's garden. It's great to know they survived with so little roots.

Cheers for now.

Paul
Paul B (Scotland)
Paul B (Scotland)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:40 pm

Hello Paul. No need for rooting hormone, I ave never used it on my trees. The Elms sound interesting. They too need very little root to survive.

Back to top Go down

Post  Charles M Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:23 am

That white stuff looks like the kind of soil fungus that keeps pine trees healthy, but that is the largest and healthiest culture I've seen.
Charles M
Charles M

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:41 am

I still think the mycelium looks very much like the fungus i highlighted further up the post. I have grown hundreds of logs inocculted with trametes versicolor. I reckon you will have a good flush of mushrooms in the future. Have a scrath of the bark and see if its creeping up the tree .

Advice on collected Privet ShiitakeTrameteslogs
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul B (Scotland) Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:30 pm

Hi Smithy,

The brown mushrooms on the left trunk look good - are they edible?

The white stuff on my Privet is smooth, non sticky - it looks and feels a bit like almost dry emulsion paint.

There's a little bit above the soil level after I repotted it. I'll try to get a close up photo.

Cheers

Paul B (Scotland)
Paul B (Scotland)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:11 pm

Hello Paul. I have collected Privets from old established and healthy hedges and found this white fungus all through the soil. I wouldn't worry about it too much, now that you have washed all that claggy soil off and got it into a free draining mix.

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:15 pm

paul burke wrote:
Hi Smithy,

The brown mushrooms on the left trunk look good - are they edible?

The white stuff on my Privet is smooth, non sticky - it looks and feels a bit like almost dry emulsion paint.

There's a little bit above the soil level after I repotted it. I'll try to get a close up photo.

Cheers

The ones on the left are shiitakes.
I guess only time will tell with the privets. Mine are still growing but i have put them in the ground. Good luck with yours.
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  handy mick Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:01 am

have some willow water on hand prior to collecting, use this to water in your new trees, fantastic stuff
Mick

handy mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:17 pm

Hello Mick. Willow water? Never heard of it, could you give some more detail?

Back to top Go down

Post  wabashene Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:17 pm

wabashene
wabashene

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:27 pm

Cheers Tim. Well I never. Learned something new today Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content