Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Red Maple seeds - Acer rubrum

5 posters

Go down

Red Maple seeds - Acer rubrum Empty Red Maple seeds - Acer rubrum

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:53 pm

Hey folks,

I am trying to get a few fresh red maple seeds, and if possible from as far south as is possible.
Just a few.
I want to see how well they could handle 9 months of our Tropical climate.
Anyone?
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Red Maple seeds - Acer rubrum Empty Re: Red Maple seeds - Acer rubrum

Post  chris Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:53 pm

What you would have is maple seeds, very few would turn out to be red,5 to 10% maybe. On the plus side each seedling would be unique.
You could then use these as stock plants to graft cuttings of a red maple etc.

Regards Chris
chris
chris

Back to top Go down

Red Maple seeds - Acer rubrum Empty Red Maple Seeds

Post  bonsaisr Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:57 pm

According to USDA, Red maple is found all the way to the bottom of Florida & parts of Texas. However, we are talking Zone 10, not 11, meaning they get frost an average of every other year. Seeds from that far south might well be amenable to the Caribbean, especially if you are growing elms.
There are only two small areas in the continental US that are in Zone 11 (frost-free), the Florida Keys and a part of the desert outside San Diego. Possibly also the southern tip of Texas.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Red Maple seeds - Acer rubrum Empty Red Maple Seeds

Post  bonsaisr Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:02 pm

Chris, you are confusing the red cultivars of Acer palmatum, the Japanese maple, with our native red maple, Acer rubrum. Seedlings from seeds collected in the wild would be pretty uniform. The leaves are uniformly green all summer. They turn red in the fall. Also the flowers are red, very attractive. It is not an easy bonsai subject, but people keep experimenting with it.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:18 pm

Chris, much thanks for the response.

Mrs. Iris,

we can grow Japanese and Trident maples, but you - have - to use a refrigerator. The trident is now 15 years, as is the Gingko, both are out of the UK. There was a Japanese maple, just a simple green type, but the guy I gave it to was careless and it died.

I have been trying to replace the maple, with any maple, memories again, you should know me by now. I am presently doing penance with my trident as I took it out early last year and that was a bad, bad thing to do.

Won't be travelling this year and forgot to get a phyto, last year, so I am trying for seed.

Seriously making plans to build a cold room, and am teaching myself how to grow under lights. There are many children who will never have the chance to go abroad down here, and I thought I could somewhat lessen their pain.
Until,
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:28 pm

Acer rubrum grows down to Miami, but I don't think it grows naturally south of the Tamiami Trail (U.S. Highway 41). As Iris says, that's probably zone 10 -- but a warm zone 10. Its seeds won't ripen until early summer.

I don't know if Luis Fontenails (I've probably spelled that wrong) is still reading the IBC or not, but I think he's the southernmost Florida IBCer that I'm aware of.

The seeds likely wold germinate without treatment, but a cold-water soak for 3 days will -- according to Dirr -- "hasten and unify (whatever he means by that) germinatioon."

You are right, though. Seeds sent to you from here in NC would not survive in your area. And red maple from Iris wouldn't even germinate.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Moody Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:25 am

I am more than willing to send you some when they ripen and fall. I wouldnt even charge you except for some of your knowledge at some point down the road, and maybe some local seed from down your way. I'll let you know when I start seeing them fall.
Mr. Moody
Mr. Moody

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:29 pm

The problem with Acer rubrum seeds is that they need to be planted immediately after they fall, unlike other maple species. They have almost no "shelf life."
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Moody Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:30 pm

Jim is 3-4 days, a week at the most, on a trip to the Caribean too long? The ones I picked up last year all sprouted, dont know how long they sat around for.
Mr. Moody
Mr. Moody

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:03 pm

Well, I sent a bunch of red maple seeds from the very-small-leafed variety of Acer rubrum that grows around Tallahassee, Fla to Brent at Evergreen Gardenworks. As far as i know, none of them germinated, and I pulled some of those off the tree while others were falling around me.

Your North Carolina-gened red maple seeds would likely not survive in Trinidad, anyway.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Moody Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:43 pm

Jim

I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes here but I think Khaimraj understands that, or at least thats what i got out of his statement, "I want to see how well they could handle 9 months of our Tropical climate." By all means correct me if I'm wrong Question . I wouldnt be out more than a stamp and envelope, I think I can handle that.
Mr. Moody
Mr. Moody

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:44 am

Hello Mr.Moody,

thanks for the offer, but there are seeds on the way already. However, if you need some seed from my seed, just ask, I will try to accommodate.
[Never try to post to Trinidad, it will not reach.]

Jim,

let's pray, as I doubt my Sky Box service in Miami is as fast as 3 days - ha ha ha.
Pax tutti.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Moody Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:41 pm

Khainraj,
Glad you got taken care of. Thanks for the offer but for now I'm fine. I'm new to the artform and currently have about 60 trees in various stages, from seedling to 20ft+ tall trees I'm reducing. The only plant I can think of that I would like to add would be Bougainvillea, but I dont know where I would keep it. I have to wait until one or two of my trees gets fed up and goes to the nursery in the sky before I add any more.
Mr. Moody
Mr. Moody

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down