Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Alexandra - The quality of ' patience ' is not strained, it dropeth.....

2 posters

Go down

For Alexandra - The quality of ' patience ' is not strained, it dropeth..... Empty For Alexandra - The quality of ' patience ' is not strained, it dropeth.....

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:58 pm

Hey Alexandra,

[ for when the fingers get itchy. Smile ]

here are two Sageretia t. from cuttings [ around 94 ] or so. The long extensions are to hopefully thicken branches. I just sat and waited for the shoots to grow in the correct place. Probably 5 more years of work. Small bonsai.

The coarse mix is to enhance the growing and the flat saucer keeps the roots manageable.
Both have just been pruned and I am awaiting the correct shoots on the other.
Enjoy.
Khaimraj

For Alexandra - The quality of ' patience ' is not strained, it dropeth..... Ibc_al10

For Alexandra - The quality of ' patience ' is not strained, it dropeth..... Ibc_al11
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

For Alexandra - The quality of ' patience ' is not strained, it dropeth..... Empty Re: For Alexandra - The quality of ' patience ' is not strained, it dropeth.....

Post  my nellie Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:52 pm

I do feel much obliged, Khaimraj!
I know you are busy at this time with your repotting BUT you have the kindness to post photos and type message for helping my ignorance...
Thank you so much!
And a biiiig "Thank you" to the IBC and everyone who give their best to keep this forum the way it is!

Back on my issue. Let's suppose that you also need one extra branch at some point in the trunk of the first sageretia. So, it is possible while waiting for the two long extensions to grow into thicker branches, to use them as thread graftings, too.
How long do you let those branchlets to extend? To... infinity? Until you get the branch of proper thicknes? Or do you prune their tips every now and then?

PS: Let me paraphrase the excerpt from "Merchant of Venice", by W. Shakespeare which inspired the title of this thread...
"The quality of (mercy) generosity is not strained;
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the (place) beginner beneath. It is twice blest;
It blesseth him that (gives) advises and (him) her that (takes) reads".
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

For Alexandra - The quality of ' patience ' is not strained, it dropeth..... Empty Re: For Alexandra - The quality of ' patience ' is not strained, it dropeth.....

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:48 pm

Alexandra,

you are most welcome, anytime.

Sageretia, though a favourite of mine, is an odd-ball vining shrub, cambium never heals, all wounds of any size say 5mm, will stay open indefinitely. So thread grafts are out. However, the shrub re-sprouts all over and one just has to wait a bit and a shoot will magically appear.

Another wonderful quality of Sageretia, is how long it takes to trunk thicken. Note 1994 to 2009 = 15 years, which is how long the almost 5 cm on the trunks took.
Sub-note - I have a low branching type which trunk fattens, but then you get no branchlets and another which branch thickens but you get no trunks.

Open ground is only slightly faster.

Oh you can get 4m vines plus and see no real results on the trunks. I prune back hard once a year, but try to avoid major scars on the trunks.

Patience is a virtue, whispered the Sageretia to the man as he slept.chuckle.

Great paraphrase !!

I grew these Sageretias on our north light as the patio only has a northern exposure. Great plant, and the leaves stay small and growth is still tight. However, the neighbour below has a white roof, which obviously helps.chuckle.

I adapted the shrub's properties to match our local guava, which will not bonsai at all.
Images of the local Guava and long vines on the Sageretia.
Until.
Khaimraj

Guava
For Alexandra - The quality of ' patience ' is not strained, it dropeth..... Alexa_10

Indoor Patio with vines.
For Alexandra - The quality of ' patience ' is not strained, it dropeth..... Sag_al10

Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:08 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote: ... ... Patience is a virtue, whispered the Sageretia to the man as he slept.chuckle.
... ...
Patience doesn't cost anything to the Sageretia, it costs only to the sleepy man with itching hands!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down