Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trident Question

2 posters

Go down

Trident Question Empty Trident Question

Post  Guest Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:21 pm

Hello everyone,

I am a huge fan of Trident Maple. There is one thing that I have been wanting to ask an experienced Trident fanatic; why is it that having a hollow-trunk Trident or something similar with deadwood is a 'no no'? There are one or two examples I have seen online with Uros.

Back to top Go down

Trident Question Empty Re: Trident Question

Post  JimLewis Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:27 pm

Who says it is?

Generally, and especially in the hands of a neophyte at this sport, deadwood on deciduous bonsai looks bad. Those with talent (and the right tree) can pull it off -- most often with hollowed trunks, and seldom with jin.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:38 pm

I have heard this from two very experienced bonsai artists who follow the Japanese style of bonsai. I am not here to spark a war, so I am not taking names... my intention is only to learn.

I am a novice, and I won't try deadwood carving on any deciduous tree for a long time. In fact, I have a Trident with natural deadwood down the backside of the tree. I am trying to heal the scar over it by growing a strong sacrifice leader.

Back to top Go down

Post  GaryWood Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:50 pm

Suburbia, Trident is one of the few trees we work with that callus aggressively enough to cover large cuts and eventually fade or blend without a noticable difference. The problem with most newly worked trees with large cuts is the development process is not prioritized to maximize callus in the area and then carving is the only option. Not necessarily a bad one but if time is not a constraint then growing through the "healing" is optimal.
Wood
http://thingsofwood-gary.blogspot.com/

GaryWood

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down