Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A few of my plants

3 posters

Go down

A few of my plants Empty A few of my plants

Post  tylerwashere Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:20 pm

Here's a few plants in my collection. I've been collecting bonsai and learning the basics for about a year and a half now. (sorry I didnt resize)
A few of my plants Photopt
this is a holly, I cut it back about6months ago

A few of my plants Photo2gb
sweet plum

A few of my plants Photo3gy
another sweet plum

A few of my plants Photo14os
small bougainvillea, purple

A few of my plants Photo13nh
another bougainvillea, peach

A few of my plants Photo12i
bougainvillea 1,purple
A few of my plants Photo11s
a fukien tea, defoliated a week ago
A few of my plants Photo10w
A few of my plants Photo8q
another fukien tea
A few of my plants Photo6us
(chinese) elm
A few of my plants Photo7w

tylerwashere

Back to top Go down

A few of my plants Empty Re: A few of my plants

Post  tylerwashere Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:39 am

suggestions welcome

tylerwashere

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:48 pm

Hi.
on the "another fukien tea" and elm IMHO-you might need to clear some interior branches to promote good ramification and branch proportion on the branches from medium size to smaller then finer size, same thing with the elm. if you are aiming for a broom style you might try to lessen the lower branches and as the branches ascend more finer twigs will appear. this will lessen the trees hedge or topiary effect when you present the two trees with leaves.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:59 pm

Tyler,

normally you don't have to defoliate Fukien teas, and be aware that there are some 5 or 6 sub-varieties of Sageretia, some grow poorly only long vines, some only grow a large trunk and no real branching and some grow very well, but the trunk thickens very slowly if at all.

This is just in case you got a negative variety and so you won't beat up yourself.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  tylerwashere Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:26 am

Thanks for the info you guys. Yeah, the one fukien tea i defoliated was a gift to my 6yr old cousin and she rly neglected it. All the leaves lost their shine and were all drooping pretty seriously. I've done this before and it worked out pretty well, and this seems to be working out well too, ill post a picture showing the regrowth (which is happening pretty quickly).

Jun, thanks for the advice. I think i know what you mean, but if you could maybe expand on your suggestion, im still learning Smile. The elm I like the "lollipop" broom style for it. One problem is that if you look at it from the top there is a small gap where there are no twigs/leaves. I'm looking for a way to fill the hole, but it nothing i've tried seems to work. The hole is because of the secondary branch (the only other main branch) coming off the trunk just hasnt grown enough to fill the hole and make the "orb" (for lack of a better word) complete.

Another thing, if anyone has advice about the bougainvilleas, I cant seem to get the peach one to grow many leaves and it just looks straggely kind of. This is actually the first time in a while its been looking ok, mainly because this is the first time flowers have grown on it in a while. I've been watering it less because i found they like less water than some other plants. Thank you for the help! I have like 7 more plants ill post when I can upload them.

tylerwashere

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:54 am

Try to take photo's with a plain background and with the light behind you. These pictures are very unclear and it will help with advice.

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:24 pm

The bougainvillea will not thrive without lots of sun. If it must be kept inside, the sill of a south facing window is the minimum you will need. Additional light from a fluorescent tube hung 6 inches over the plant will be beneficial. And keep the plant fairly dry.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  tylerwashere Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:06 am

JimLewis wrote:The bougainvillea will not thrive without lots of sun. If it must be kept inside, the sill of a south facing window is the minimum you will need. Additional light from a fluorescent tube hung 6 inches over the plant will be beneficial. And keep the plant fairly dry.

Well, I never keep it inside, I dont keep any of my plants inside. They get about 6-7 hrs of direct sunlight in my backyard every day. I water the bougies once every other day and I give it less water than i give the others when i do end up watering it. ever since I started this ive noticed it growing a little better. I also use the special bougainvillea fertilizer, the specs escape me at the moment...

btw: will post part 2 and part 1 on white background tomorrow

tylerwashere

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down