Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trying to identifiy Genus and Species for collected Pyracantha

3 posters

Go down

Trying to identifiy Genus and Species for collected Pyracantha Empty Trying to identifiy Genus and Species for collected Pyracantha

Post  Todd Ellis Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:45 pm

I am trying to identify the Genus and Species for Pyracantha shrubs I collected this past Summer. If I can identify them, then I can guess at their zone hardiness requirements (my theory anyway confused ) Most look like they recovered and will stay in the ground to grow-on before any serious bonsai work will be attemtped. I would like to know what I have and have included a couple of photos which show the leaves pretty well. These were collected from a shopping center and I estimate they are between 15-20 years old. I live in Zone 7a. I am concerned about Winter care for them once they are in containers. I Winter my stock outdoors, in mulch, behind a garage with a wind break. I wonder if this would be enough protection for them? Thank you for your help. Best, Todd
(The photos were taken right after they were collected. They have been treated for pests... Very Happy)

Trying to identifiy Genus and Species for collected Pyracantha Pyraca12

Trying to identifiy Genus and Species for collected Pyracantha Pyraca13
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Trying to identifiy Genus and Species for collected Pyracantha Empty Re: Trying to identifiy Genus and Species for collected Pyracantha

Post  Randy_Davis Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:55 pm

Todd,

99.99%sure it's most likely a cultivar of Pyracantha coccinea. Very cold hardy and should do well in your wintering environment in a container.

Randy
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Trying to identifiy Genus and Species for collected Pyracantha Empty Re: Trying to identifiy Genus and Species for collected Pyracantha

Post  JimLewis Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:36 pm

That's what it has to be. Of the two Pyracantha generally available in the US, P. coccinea is the only one that would be found in your area. The other species, P. koidzumii, would have been killed to the ground in zone 7 well before it reached that size.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:45 pm

Thank you Randy.
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:49 pm

Thank you, Jim.
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down