Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can I save them?

3 posters

Go down

Can I save them? Empty Can I save them?

Post  NemusStipes Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:37 pm

Every time I went for a bike ride I would ride past and admire a group of about 8 junipers. They all had gangly growths protruding from everywhere, but had lovely trunks and I pictured what I would do with them.
Today as I was taking the bus past them, I saw them all ripped out and lying on the border of the woods. pale
When I got home and rode down to look at them to my surprise they had larger root-ball than I had expected. About a two feet around and almost a foot deep.
I was then told that they had been dug up two days earlier.
They have some dead foliage on them, but it may be left over from the extremely dry summer we had.
Would it be possible for me to save them tomorrow if I was extremely careful? Or should I save my energy?

EDIT: I also noticed some new growth near the trunks. I wouldn't have cared otherwise. Smile

Last edited by NemusStipes on Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
NemusStipes
NemusStipes

Back to top Go down

Can I save them? Empty Re: Can I save them?

Post  Storm Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:43 pm

If you have the space and time for it Id say go ahead. As far as I see it, if the tree doesnt make it, atleast you gave it a shot, and you have free deadwood to test out some carving, if your interested in that.
Im alot around in the forest, but im extremely picky when it comes to needletrees, since they often have a problem with long branches and doesnt respond that well with backbudding. Im using my focus on decidious trees untill I feel I can do good with them.
Storm
Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:38 pm

go and get those trees. the more time they spent up rooted the lesser the chance of survival. then post some photos.

regards,
jun bounce

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:00 pm

Definitely worth a try, if you have the time, space and energy! If the reasonable rootball still holds soil, they should be fine. Very Happy What's the worst that can happen? Just get them home, watered and into some free draining mix ASAP. Tie or wire them securely to their pots/boxes and protect from the worst of the weather and keep fingers crossed. Most make it.

Any idea what sort of Juniper they may be?
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  NemusStipes Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:23 am

Sadly, I cannot save them.
I was just informed that I had been misinformed. It had been much longer than two days, more like two weeks. Still I had slight hopes...
But the all powerful Mother whose house in which I reside said: "No, they're too big, sorry sweety."
I guess I'll just stick to shohin and mame.
Thank you for your responses! Smile

~NS
NemusStipes
NemusStipes

Back to top Go down

Post  Storm Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:18 pm

Sad news, but dont let that put you off. We all have some sad stories, but there will always be a good tree somewhere in the future. Wink
Storm
Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down