Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Citrus reticulata

3 posters

Go down

Citrus reticulata Empty Citrus reticulata

Post  capo_regime Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:49 pm

Hello all!!

One of my neighbors have one Citrus reticulata and yesterday he pruned it. Is it possible to propagate the tree using one of the brachs??

thanx

capo_regime

Back to top Go down

Citrus reticulata Empty Citrus from Cuttings

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Citrus is usually grown from seed or grafted. That is desirable fruit bearing branches are grafted onto hardier roots stock.

I have never heard of growing from cuttings, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible.

Give it a try and let us know.

It is a good time of year in the Northern Hemisphere.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Citrus reticulata Empty Re: Citrus reticulata

Post  Randy_Davis Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:03 pm

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:I have never heard of growing from cuttings, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible.

Some members of the citrus family are easier to root than others. I have been sucessful with fruiting Lemon and Orange. Others like the Hardy orange (Ponirus trifoliata) sometimes used for Bonsai are always grown from seed. Comercially your right that most citrus are grafted.
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  capo_regime Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:58 pm

So, what kind of soil mix do you sugest??

capo_regime

Back to top Go down

Citrus reticulata Empty Citrus cuttings

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:10 pm

I always use a pure vermiculite (as large a particle as I can find, not the fine stuff) and on this I would use a rooting hormone for hardwoods. If this was cut yesterday I would prepare some cuttings and keep them in water until I had the required supplies. Only one or two leaves per cutting, firm wood. (this isn't the green flexible tips but just below them.)
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy_Davis Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:23 pm

capo_regime wrote:So, what kind of soil mix do you sugest??

Hi Capo,

Well, it's not quite as easy as just having the right soil. As is the case with most plants that you want to propagate by cuttings, timing is the most relavent thing. Citrus cuttings should be taken when the new growth has hardened off and the cutting should be half new growth and half last seansons growth and 6-8 inches long for opitmum success. A strong rooting hormone is also required, I would recommend 0.8% IBA at a minimum and even useing one that strong is not going to guarentee results. The rooting medium that I use is 100% medium sized perlite. In addition you will need to provide some sort of bottom heating of the cutting to keep it at a constant 70-75 degrees F during the process, along with high humidity. Takeing a few cuttings if they are in the right condition may get you some success if your lucky. Good luck!
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  capo_regime Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:05 pm

and, what about any antifungic prophylaxys, do you sugest any fungicide??

capo_regime

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy_Davis Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:17 pm

capo_regime wrote:and, what about any antifungic prophylaxys, do you sugest any fungicide??

Most rooting power formulations also include a fungicide so I wouldn't worry about that as long as you use fresh sterile rooting medium. I use a product called "banrot" but I'm not sure it's avaliable to retail clients. If your really concerned you could use a very weak solution of bleach in plain water say a few drops in a pint of water and wash the cuttings in it before you strike them.
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down