Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winter protection from pests

2 posters

Go down

Winter protection from pests Empty Winter protection from pests

Post  MikeG Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:15 pm

Hi all

This is my first winter in bonsai and I live in an apartment. I have a chance to over winter my trees at my sisters place in the country. It's perfect, low lying, no wind and a lot of snow. I'm just worried about pests such as voles attacking the trees bark and roots under the snow. I havn't been able to find much on preventing this, so I thought I'd pick your guys brains about different techniques used.

Thanks, Mike
MikeG
MikeG

Back to top Go down

Winter protection from pests Empty Re: Winter protection from pests

Post  JimLewis Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:28 pm

A chicken wire cage under and around your trees should help
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Winter protection from pests Empty Winter protection from pests

Post  Guest Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:29 pm

Hello Mike. If the trees in your apartment live outside on a balcony, then it will be safe for your trees to live at your Sisters. If you can raise them off the ground, the height will stop vermin from attacking your trees. If your trees are indoors, then they're better off indoors,as they have not had the opportunity to harden off.

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeG Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:44 pm

Hi Will and Jim

My trees are all outdoors, except a couple tropicals. Here in zone 5 it's been recomended to me to bury the pots to protect the roots from damaging temps, but then more eccessible to rodents. The wires a good one. I'll cover the pot with a wire mesh and this should help keep ground soil out as well. I've heard of people using mothballs as a deterent, but is this safe for the tree come spring when run off might leech chemicals from the mothballs into the soil?
MikeG
MikeG

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down