Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My first bonsai from seed

3 posters

Go down

My first bonsai from seed Empty My first bonsai from seed

Post  MikeG Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:53 pm

This is my first growing season since I've been interested in bonsai. Getting my trees ready for winter really made me sad, so I've began reading up on growing bonsai indoors and was surprised to learn that rosemary is a suitable species. I started this plant from seed last spring for use in cooking and decided to bring it indoors. It was more just to get experience in bare rooting and styling. I know it looks like any "mallsai" found anywhere, but I'm strangely proud of it and see some potential. My cat thinks so too ; )
[url=https://servimg.com/image_preview.php?

i=4&u=15859043]My first bonsai from seed Img_0013[/url][url=https://servimg.com/image_preview.php? cat
MikeG
MikeG

Back to top Go down

My first bonsai from seed Empty Re: My first bonsai from seed

Post  Kev Bailey Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:53 pm

No no no, Mallsai are unnaturally twisted and sold for maximum profit. Yours is a valid experimental bonsai. It can be improved upon, but first you need to learn to keep it alive through winter indoors.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeG Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:18 pm

Thank you, that's what I was thinking. It's been indoors under my 400w MH for over a month now and growing well. Even after reducing the roots by over 1/3 it's still producing new vegetation and flowers (which I'm plucking in favour of vegetation). I have a large Grewia Occidentalis to experiment with during the winter also, so I'm ready for spring when most of my trees come out of dormancy. I tried my hand at some root pruning last spring and they did over this growing season. But I find it quite different bare rooting, pruning and re potting an actively growing plant.
MikeG
MikeG

Back to top Go down

Post  Ravi Kiran Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:26 am

Hi,

Good potensai (not malsai). I have a friend who has grown Rosemary into an acceptable bonsai. However your tree is much too young. Should you leave it in a bonsai pot the growth will be slow. Suggest you transfer the same into a growth pot next spring and forget it for about 2-3 years. Then you can start work on it and create a good bonsai. Ofcourse till then you can keep harvesting the leaves to meet your kitchen needs Smile

Regards
Ravi
Ravi Kiran
Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down