Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice for a Scotts Pine

4 posters

Go down

Advice for a Scotts Pine Empty Advice for a Scotts Pine

Post  MikeG Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:16 pm

Hi everyone.
I wanted to see what advice and or opinions anyone has for future styling of this Scotts Pine. I got it at the fall Toronto Bonsai Society show. It's a 4" trunk diameter and 31" tall. I know the first branch is alot higher then the traditional 1/3 the height, but I really like the movement of the trunk. I've been thinking I could develope it as a literali. Or else encourage some growth for height, but then the trunk would look thinner. What do you think?
Thanks, Mike
Advice for a Scotts Pine Img_0012review.php?
MikeG
MikeG

Back to top Go down

Advice for a Scotts Pine Empty Re: Advice for a Scotts Pine

Post  landerloos Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:38 pm

Its very hard to see if there is a literati hidden somewhere because of the dense growth.
Is there a branch with a lott of character you maybe could pull of a literati with only keeping that one branch.

Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:17 pm

Yeah, Literati was the first thing that came to my mind, too. I suppose you could try to style it into some kind of slanted shape.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:43 am

Literati is definately your best option. Consider looking at pictures of Penjing for some inspiration. This looks like a nice piece of material!
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeG Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:45 am

Thanks for the input. I'm pretty sure I'll follow your advice. I'm going to find it hard taking clippers to such great foliage. I've read that now is the best time for hard pruning pines, as the bleeding and scaring is less, due to the colder temps. But I think I'll wait untill next year after I get a better look at the root structure, and really decide what the front of the tree will be.

Thanks, Mike
MikeG
MikeG

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down