Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Steps-Juniper 'communis'

2 posters

Go down

First Steps-Juniper 'communis' Empty First Steps-Juniper 'communis'

Post  SEGR12 Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:38 pm

Hi All
I did a lot of reading last night and found this website page by Brent Walston-A Beginners First Bonsai and The 'Rules' of Bonsai, (which I understand are only guidelines) with a lot of valuable information.
I got this juniper in a 1 gallon pot from a nursery and it was explained to me DO NOT repot or root prune until next fall, AT LEAST.
I can do as much work above the soil line as I want but don't remove more than half the foliage and wiring is Ok to be done.
I am not questioning the information that I have received but I do need to know if this is the proper time of year to do all of this work.

Stephen

SEGR12

Back to top Go down

First Steps-Juniper 'communis' Empty Re: First Steps-Juniper 'communis'

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:57 pm

This is an OUTSIDE tree. It has gone dormant (or will very soon) in your climate and it is safe to work above the soil line. However, you will not get much (any) new growth until spring.
If you wire, watch the wire in spring because when the tree starts growing the diameter of wired areas may increase quickly.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

First Steps-Juniper 'communis' Empty Re:First Steps-Juniper 'communis'

Post  SEGR12 Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:11 pm

Thanks Billy
I could hold off on wiring till spring if that would be best.

SEGR12

Back to top Go down

First Steps-Juniper 'communis' Empty Re: First Steps-Juniper 'communis'

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down