Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

chain saw massacre

5 posters

Go down

chain saw massacre Empty chain saw massacre

Post  kauaibonsai Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:09 am

this is one of three supersize bougainvillea I collected 2 fridays ago. already the stump is budding. before the tree becomes flush with new growth, I needed to make some major cuts to set the trunk up for training as bonsai. the bougainvillea was part of an old yardscape. over the years, the gardener must've cut the trunk back many times. when I discovered the tree and pruned the wild growth away, I found beautiful fissured bark and a 12 inch trunk with nice movement. several large branches in the 2 - 6 inch diameter range growing out from the trunk had been pruned short - creating design obstacles for the future. some of these stubs needed to be removed or trimmed . the two largest cuts were made with a chain saw, then rough shaped with a die grinder. smaller cuts were made with the grinder. unfortunately the changes are not easy to see. the most noticeable is the trimming of the second branch stub just below the apex. after a chain saw cut and grinder work now there is separation between the upper trunk and the second branch.

the front before work. note the textured bark, movement in the trunk and the second branch from the top tightly tucked under the top of the tree.
chain saw massacre Dsc07532

the first V shaped cut removed a 5 inch diameter stub between two flanking stubs low on the trunk. we now have separation between the remaining stubs. looking directly into the cut.
chain saw massacre Dsc07534

the next operation was to reduce the large stub growing tightly under the upper trunk. look carefully to see the chainsaw cut which effectively reduces the diameter of the branch by 2/3
chain saw massacre Dsc07610

after roughing the cut with the grinder. now we have separation
chain saw massacre Dsc07611

done for now. the tone has been set. lots more work to come.
chain saw massacre Dsc07612

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

chain saw massacre Empty Re: chain saw massacre

Post  ogie Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:23 am

looks promising to me sir
regards.
alex/ogie
ogie
ogie

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:33 pm

Sam,

Very nice old purple bougainvillea. Keep us posted.

Kind Regards,

Jose Luis
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:31 pm

thats a huge one Sam, with very good trunk movement

regards,
jun

Back to top Go down

Post  kauaibonsai Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:21 am

thanks for the comments, ogie, jose, jun. some clearer pictures of the victim - before and after the assault.

before. front/back
chain saw massacre Dsc07535chain saw massacre Dsc07536

after some serious cutschain saw massacre Dsc07613chain saw massacre Dsc07614chain saw massacre Dsc07615chain saw massacre Dsc07616

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Milan Karpíšek Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:05 am

iteresting material, congratulation
greetings Milan
Milan Karpíšek
Milan Karpíšek

Back to top Go down

Post  kauaibonsai Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:32 pm

thank you, milan

best wishes from hawaii.

sam

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  ogie Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:03 pm

Sam,
With the clear picture the more in in love with it,soon you'll get a winner from it,keep us updated,

regards,
Alex/Ogie
ogie
ogie

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:39 am

SHould look colorful in a few years.

How do you keep those cuts from rotting? No matter what I slather on my bougy cuts they eventually rot and change the look of the tree.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  kauaibonsai Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:14 am

thanks for the words guys. rob. deadwood created from live wood is surprisingly durable. when the wet wood dries, go back over the cuts to shape and sand. before too many branches and foliage grow, apply fire to the cuts. then wire brush and light sanding. stain cut areas for color contrast. in other parts where the bleached look is desirable, apply an acrylic paint wash., more durable and water proof than LS. after coloring , apply saturation level wood hardener or teak oil with a eye dropper. re-treat periodically.

for old pulpy deadwood there's not a heck of a lot one can do. I dig it all out and hopefully have enough left to work on.

best wishes,

sam

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down