Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pot for Todd and my banyan

+3
Todd Ellis
DreadyKGB
moyogijohn
7 posters

Go down

Pot for Todd and my banyan Empty Pot for Todd and my banyan

Post  Guest Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:31 pm

Hi Todd and IBC friends,

since i cant find the right rock for my banyan. i created a more conventional container for a more conservative people like me and my friend Todd. Shocked Smile

Pot for Todd and my banyan Dsc_1221

the newly created container.

Pot for Todd and my banyan Dsc_1151

the tree

Pot for Todd and my banyan Dsc_1222

the newly wed. i cant wait for the moss on the rock and some aerial roots cascading down the rock.

regards,
jun

Back to top Go down

Pot for Todd and my banyan Empty MY BAYNUN

Post  moyogijohn Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:20 pm

jun,, a nother piece of good work ..that is one more GOOD tree.. thanks for posting..john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Pot for Todd and my banyan Empty Re: Pot for Todd and my banyan

Post  Guest Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:46 pm

John,

thanks. im glad you like my new composition. i was thinking of putting this in a wide and long but shallow pot then pull some of the roots down the rock and put moss on top of the wide pot base...penjing landscape. what do you think?

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  DreadyKGB Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:43 pm

Jun,
I think this tree looks much better on this rock than the one in your other post. The other stone stole the show a bit to much. I think the idea of a shallow pot beneath with roots coming down is an interesting idea and could work quite well, although it looks great as it stands. I truly enjoy all of your posts and interesting ideas for planting. Keep up the good work and keep the pics coming.

Todd (another one)
DreadyKGB
DreadyKGB

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:31 pm

Todd, (DreadyKGB)

thanks.

the shallow pot can wait. il enjoy this set up for the time being, i think this well look better when the tree and rock got matured.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:59 pm

Jun, I like the match! They compliment each other. This rock looks like a giant clam-creature; I see eyes, nose, mouth, and the tree looks like horns or spines coming out of the top of its head. I think the idea of the tree with aerial roots and mosses and other planting will create a great tree on top of a cave landscape. Great idea! cheers You da man! thumbs up
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  BrianLarson Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:36 am

Fantastic rock! complements the tree much better than the first one. Can't wait to see it in a shallow container ThumbsUp

Brian
BrianLarson
BrianLarson

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:50 am

Todd,

thanks.

regards,

jun Smile

Brian,

thanks.

regards,
jun Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:58 am

Hey Todd, you change photo! very cool with the shades and very "modern" display. :)IMHO. i like it.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Pot for Todd and my banyan Empty re pot for todd and baynan

Post  moyogijohn Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:41 am

OK JUN,,You ask what i thought... i like the tree in the rock,i do think it is too deep because the base is covered with soil..the idea of a pot under the rock with roots comming down sounds great ..that would bring the base of tree up so it can be seen..this is only my opion but i would like for you to do it in that way.it would also be something different since you are able to make changes anytime...think about it ......let us know ok????good luck good work...john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Pot for Todd and my banyan Empty update on banyan

Post  Guest Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:23 pm

Hi IBC. the tree is holding on to the rock...

this is my feeder plastic bag tied to the rock and tree, filled with yummy goodies for the tree and roots I needed... I got bad experience with pot feeder before and this is my practical solution...wont topple over.

Pot for Todd and my banyan Dsc_2213

Pot for Todd and my banyan Dsc_2214

the plastic bag temporarily removed. will be put in place again later. got the good roots I intended to grow and the big root clasping well to the rock pot..

regards,
jun

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:58 pm

Jun,
What a good idea! It looks like it did what you wanted it to!
Salut, Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:05 pm

Thanks Todd,

a few more months and the design would almost be complete.

...some of my own process are crude, but as long as it works I'm fine with it. Smile

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Pot for Todd and my banyan Empty my banyan

Post  moyogijohn Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:48 pm

JUN,,I Rechecked the post and I THINK it is a good idea..can you bring the tree up some so more base and roots are showing??? anyway it will look good when you get the base up under the rock..i am not makeing sense,,i mean the base of the tree and roots. post another picture ok?? take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:58 pm

Great tree Jun. This might be a dumb question, but how does one repot and trim the roots of a tree that is physically attached to the pot it is in? Thanks!

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:52 am

No, john. you are making lot of sense. you want to see more of the tree base and the nebari.
at this point the base of the tree and most of the nebari is buried under the soil and sphagnum moss. eventually I'll remove the top soil when the root spreads on top of the rock. keeping the base moist will develop more roots on top.

regards,
jun study

Ryan,
thanks.
that was not a dumb question, it's the opposite of it.

this tree wont be re potted at all. If it is necessary to removed roots it is only because it will affect the overall composition, like roots engulfing the whole rock pot. other than for aesthetic purposes the tree roots will remain attached to the rock... for the rest of it's life. the more roots for banyan the happier the tree will be, they get nutrients on the rock not from the soil medium, with liquid fertilizer of course.

regards,
jun

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ravi Kiran Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:49 am

Hi Jun,

Great to see another of your creative works of Art. I was looking at the progression images and good progress so far. However when I see that the bunch of roots cascading down from the rock being placed on the side and not in the front is where I wanted to know your final plan.

The virtual (badly done as usual) is what I thought might be one option where the roots are cascading down in the FRONT giving the feeling of a ROOT WATERFALL or should I call it ROOTFALL or a curtain of cascading roots. Do let me know what you think.

Pot for Todd and my banyan Jun_fi10

Regards
Ravi
Ravi Kiran
Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:49 pm

yes Ravi, thats the idea.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cockroach Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:28 am

Hi Jun,

Would love to see the tree in an updated pic if you have one and have the time. Love your ficus creations. They are an awesome tree to work with.
Cockroach
Cockroach

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:20 pm

Thanks Cockroach.

Looks like you are digging thru the archives...hehehe

BTW,, that banyan tree is in "Ankor Wat" now. Wink I'll show it later.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down