Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jardin Botanique - Montreal, Quebec, Canada

5 posters

Go down

Jardin Botanique - Montreal, Quebec, Canada Empty Jardin Botanique - Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Post  JimLewis Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:05 pm

On our gallivanting around in the "Nawth" (as opposed to the South) last week, we got quite a bit of Bonsai doing and looking done -- starting with Bill Valavanis' 30th annual (and last!) September get-together in Rochester, NY, and ending with a heretofore undreamed of bonsai adventure in Montreal. David Easterbrook, Curator of the bonsai collection at Jardin Bontanique in Montreal was one of the presenters at Bills' meeting.

We met him a few days later at the 1200-acre botanic garden in the city's outskirts. He gave us a quick look at the overall setup, then a tour of the three -- yes, THREE -- bonsai display areas. There is a large Japanese garden, a large Chinese compound, and a compound set aside for North American plants that has a modest cvollecting of North American natives. One day we're going back to do the entire setup justice.

To start, here's a brief look at the japanese garden and some of the bonsai.

The garden itself:

Jardin Botanique - Montreal, Quebec, Canada Japane10

Here's David and Jackie looking out over the pond:

Jardin Botanique - Montreal, Quebec, Canada Japane11

And some Koi:

Jardin Botanique - Montreal, Quebec, Canada Japane12

Last edited by JimLewis on Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Jardin Botanique - Montreal, Quebec, Canada Empty Re: Jardin Botanique - Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Post  JimLewis Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:09 pm

A few of the trees:

Jardin Botanique - Montreal, Quebec, Canada Japan_10

Jardin Botanique - Montreal, Quebec, Canada Japan_11

Jardin Botanique - Montreal, Quebec, Canada Japan_12

Jardin Botanique - Montreal, Quebec, Canada Japan_13

This is an "Ume oak."
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Jardin Botanique - Montreal, Quebec, Canada Empty Re: Jardin Botanique - Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Post  JimLewis Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:13 pm

One more look at the garden:

Jardin Botanique - Montreal, Quebec, Canada Japane13
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:01 pm

Nice...I visited the Montreal Bonsai collection about 12 years ago. Of note, David Easterbrook will be the guest artist at the Carolina Bonsai Expo in Asheville in October.
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:07 pm

Thanks for sharing Jim!!! Looks like a great place. I look forward to learning more from Mr. Easterbrook at the CBE.
John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Jardin Botanique - Montreal, Quebec, Canada Empty the fourth area

Post  elroy Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:28 pm

Jim

Did you miss the tropical bonsai collection in the greenhouses?

Elroy

elroy

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:34 am

I saw some of it, but I don't do tropicals, so didn't spend much time or take any pics. They had some of them in the lobby at the entrance.

David Easterbrook is retiring as the curator at the garden next year. I think he told us he has about a thousand bonsai at his home and is looking forward to spending his time on those.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:25 am

JimLewis wrote:I saw some of it, but I don't do tropicals, so didn't spend much time or take any pics. They had some of them in the lobby at the entrance.

David Easterbrook is retiring as the curator at the garden next year. I think he told us he has about a thousand bonsai at his home and is looking forward to spending his time on those.

1000 bonsai!!??? and I thought I had a problem. Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:04 am

I saw the Chinese collection there in 1987 on my honeymoon with spouse # "EX!" I didn't know about the collection until we went to the Botanical Garden. I used up all of the film (3 or four boxes of Kodak 110) on the trees. My "EX" didn't know I liked bonsai... until that day. I still love my bonsai! Twisted Evil lol! Montreal is a beautiful city! I would love to go back with Spouse # "Forever"!
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down