Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best Deal Ever!!! (ponderosa pine)

5 posters

Go down

Best Deal Ever!!! (ponderosa pine) Empty Best Deal Ever!!! (ponderosa pine)

Post  Neil Jaeger Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:44 pm

Thank you so much to the people at Golden Arrow Bonsai that had this tree in a hidden spot that i just so happen to find Smile This was at the North American Bonsai Symposium in Rochester today. I know the trunk is pretty small and i should just let it grow for a few years. But if anyone has any suggestions please feel free to let me know. Im pretty new to bonsai and this is my first ponderosa pine. I only made it for the "shaping of a bonsai" by Ryan Neil. He put on a great show and he really knows ALOT.

Best Deal Ever!!! (ponderosa pine) Yankee10

Best Deal Ever!!! (ponderosa pine) Yankee11

Best Deal Ever!!! (ponderosa pine) Yankee12

Best Deal Ever!!! (ponderosa pine) Yankee13

Best Deal Ever!!! (ponderosa pine) Yankee14

Neil Jaeger
Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Best Deal Ever!!! (ponderosa pine) Empty Re: Best Deal Ever!!! (ponderosa pine)

Post  Guest Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Hi Neil,

It really depends what size of tree you are looking for. If you want a large tree then either pot it in the ground, or a really large training pot. However, if you are content with the size of trunk, then maybe you want to take advantage of the really nice trunk movement by reducing the tree, and choosing a much lower apex. This will also give you a more convincing looking tree. My virtual below is messed up, but you get the idea.

NOTE: Reduce the trunkline very gradually (over the course of several years). Doing a flush cut right away will weaken the tree, and probably kill it.

Best Deal Ever!!! (ponderosa pine) Yankee12

Thanks,
AH

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:32 am

Neil,
How's the tree looking now? I remeber this post. What a great deal you got!

Aman,
This tree won't get a big trunk any time soon if he puts it in the ground in zone 5 NY. I could be wrong but (but likely I'm not), but I don't know of too many people who have a collected ponderosa in a pot only to stick them into the ground for a big trunk. Also Big pots for a collected ponderosa would also be a mistake. These are not trident maples. A pot thats too large for a tree that prefers drier soil is a bad idea. Big pot = extra room = wet pot = unhappy ponderosa.

Sounds like you're reciting from something you've read, that may not be applicable to ponderosa and is most certainly not the voice of experience. You really gotta watch giving advice on collected trees if you've not personally had success with those practices. Its similar to wiring an old tree that needs rest in the same year it was collected.

Neil

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Roger Snipes Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:43 am

Neil,

I have plenty of experience with collected Ponderosas. Neil Dellinger is correct, you can forget about ever getting a larger diameter trunk on that tree, unless you have 30 or 40 or more years to wait of course. Also, it shouldn't be in a larger pot than what it is in now. Both for the reasons stated, and esthetically as well. In fact, you can probably get it into a slightly smaller pot once it has stabilized.

Roger
Roger Snipes
Roger Snipes

Back to top Go down

Post  Bugeye Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:28 pm

And you will never get anything close to that tiny compact virtual. Yes the needles can be reduced
slightly. But nothing small. Just grow it like a Ponderosa. Keep it on the dry side.

Bugeye

Back to top Go down

Best Deal Ever!!! (ponderosa pine) Empty Ponderosa Pine

Post  Robert J. Baran Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Please become familiar with this information http://www.phoenixbonsai.com/PPB/Pin_pon.html and study Larry Jackel's book if at all possible.

Robert
Robert J. Baran
Robert J. Baran

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Jaeger Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:23 pm

Thank you all so very much for all the advise. Unfortunately i gave the tree to a member in our local club, I really didnt have much of a choice. I just moved to a MUCH smaller place and i just dont have room for it. But he said he would hold it for me if i wanted for a while. So who knows maybe i'll get it back when i have alittle more room.

thank you,

Neil
Neil Jaeger
Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down