Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mt. Laurel

4 posters

Go down

Mt. Laurel Empty Mt. Laurel

Post  NemusStipes Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:35 pm

We have a beautiful Mt Laurel tree in my back yard. We used to have two, (one wild and one bought) and the one we bought died. (That was a ton of money tossed out the window.) So now my mom and dad want to get rid of this one because it is dangerously close to the pool. But I want to get a clipping or something before they actually get rid of it. So...

Is it possible to bonsify a Mt Laurel tree?

If so, could you get a clipping, or seed, or air-layer.... Which would work best?
NemusStipes
NemusStipes

Back to top Go down

Mt. Laurel Empty Re: Mt. Laurel

Post  Todd Ellis Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:39 am

Everything I have heard people say about (collected indigenous) Mountain Laurel: they do not like their roots disturbed; many die after being collected. Try to get as large of a root ball as you can. I have seen a few Mt.Laurel bonsai, and they were all medium size trees. I would think you could gradually dig part of it, place a peaty soil in the area where you dug to encourage new root growth. Do this over a period of two to three years, and you might be successful.
I am curious by your description of "dangerously close to the pool..." Mt. Laurels are slow growing. Why is it "dangerously close"?
Clippings (cuttings to root) will do best if collected late Winter/early Spring. Keep them warm, moist. Don't let them freeze. If they are wanting to dig it up now, get as large aroot ball as you can and plant it in the ground in a protected place and pray!
I'm sure there are some more experienced growers who will give you some tips. Good Luck. Sorry you lost one.
Todd

Last edited by Todd Ellis on Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:42 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : specify some info in species Mt Laurel vs hybrid.)
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:59 pm

Don't get caught collecting them in Connecticut! If I remember correctly, it's the Connecticut State (Flower/Shrub?)

Jay
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  NemusStipes Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:37 pm

By dangerously close I meant that it was rather large and it is right next to the retaining wall and fence. And this is the one my mom didn't like...

But also, where are the seeds? I know where they should be but I can't find them... Do Mountain Laurels have the male and female thing too?

Fortunately, I don't live in Connecticut. (: Though it is PA's state plant too. ThumbsUp

Thanks for your answers so far!

EDIT: The seeds come out in the spring so I am told, so no wonder I can't find them anymore! Smile
NemusStipes
NemusStipes

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:48 pm

[quote="NemusStipes"]... Do Mountain Laurels have the male and female thing too? quote]

Male and female "things" are in the same flower. Embarassed

Cuttings are extremely difficult. Seeds should be sown directly onto a peaty soil. Branches can be easily ground layered by holding them to the ground with a brick or a rock, like an azalea. Disconnecting a rooted branch is another story.

I think many collected Mountain Laurels die because they are kept too wet. They have a shallow root system like an azalea, but they're a lot pickier about how they're treated. Change in their environment can be deadly.

Russell
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down