Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Starter Bonsai?

+2
JimLewis
GiantHolmOak
6 posters

Go down

Starter Bonsai? Empty Starter Bonsai?

Post  GiantHolmOak Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:00 pm

I've researched bonsai and it really got me interested. I come from England so does anyone know any good trees for beginners to bonsai that are English? And does anyone know some good tips for success? Thanks Suspect

GiantHolmOak

Back to top Go down

Starter Bonsai? Empty Re: Starter Bonsai?

Post  JimLewis Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:02 pm

Some of your compatriots can answer this best, and we have a number of them on the list, but I would suggest that you find a bonsai club near you and join. Its members can give you the best guidance to UK trees that are suited to bonsai and where to find them.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:39 pm

Agree with Jim. At this stage it would be best for you to listen to what members have to say. They will no doubt suggest you consider:

Hawthorn
Oak
Beech
Hornbeam
Field Maple
Scots Pine (growing in England:-)

This is a few for you to be thinking about.

Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:44 pm

GiantHolmOak wrote: ... ...And does anyone know some good tips for success?... ...
Learn patience!
Ask questions!
Look pictures and Read!
I wish you luck! Smile
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:49 pm

Yes clubs or workshops are the way forward. In answer to your question, I can't think of a native tree that isn't suitable.

Back to top Go down

Post  GiantHolmOak Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:42 pm

Thanks a lot for the advice, this is going to help a lot seeing as I'm new to bonsai, hoping to post photos when complete Smile

Last edited by GiantHolmOak on Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

GiantHolmOak

Back to top Go down

Post  GiantHolmOak Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:45 pm

Mike Jones wrote:Agree with Jim. At this stage it would be best for you to listen to what members have to say. They will no doubt suggest you consider:

Hawthorn
Oak
Beech
Hornbeam
Field Maple
Scots Pine (growing in England:-)

This is a few for you to be thinking about.

Mike

Thanks I've got a small oak growing in my garden at the moment, so I'll wait for it to develop in size, and also there's a lot of beech and hawthorn growing where I live so thanks for the suggestions

GiantHolmOak

Back to top Go down

Post  GiantHolmOak Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:47 pm

Thanks again, would any of you doubt buddleia or hydrangea as bonsai and is there a specific technique for the leaves to decrease in size or does the plant do it itself. Thanks

GiantHolmOak

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:57 pm

Neither of these are trees or native to the uk. There are shrubs you can use but I think the leaves are a little large on these two. Where in the UK do you live?

Back to top Go down

Starter Bonsai? Empty Bonsai Starter Tree

Post  BonsaiExpert183 Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:39 pm

Living in England myself I know of alot of trees that can be grown in england.. Personally I think the Deciduous
trees make the Best bonsai's but thats my oppinion
English Oak
Beech
Birch
Hawthorn

BonsaiExpert183

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:53 pm

Mike Jones wrote: Scots Pine (growing in England:-)
Thank you Mike! ThumbsUp

I agree with the other residents of the UK regarding the suggested species, and also the benefit of going along to a bonsai club of which there are many, and a large number of these are very good ones.

Please tell us whereabouts you live within England as there are many climatic differences you need to consider even in such a relatively small a geographical area.

Last edited by fiona on Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Starter Bonsai? Empty Bonsai Starter Tree

Post  Guest Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:54 pm

and don't forget English Elm and Blackthorn Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:31 pm

will baddeley wrote:and don't forget English Elm and Blackthorn Very Happy

Will and the OP. It is not my intention to hijack this thread but my question is to Will really.

Where can I find a well established English Elm that has not been bitten by Dutch Elm disease? I'd absolutely love to create a substantial Bonsai from this variety.

Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  GiantHolmOak Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:28 pm

will baddeley wrote:Neither of these are trees or native to the uk. There are shrubs you can use but I think the leaves are a little large on these two. Where in the UK do you live?

Right in the South East in Kent

GiantHolmOak

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:48 pm

Hello Mike. Hedges are your best bet. English Elm seems to be attacked when the tree attains a height of 15 feet or more. Nearly all of the big Elms have been lost from Suffolk but the tree survives in a hedge environment and is probably the dominant hedge species here. I know English Elm is rare in the north of England but I recall a recent holiday in Dorset, where I saw plenty of Elm hedges. I'm sure it will be the same in Somerset. Search "you showed me yours, I'll show you mine", for some of the Elm I've collected locally and with permission.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down