Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pocomoke Crape Myrtle

4 posters

Go down

Pocomoke Crape Myrtle Empty Pocomoke Crape Myrtle

Post  moyogijohn Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:14 pm

This is the tree that Jim and I were talking about...let me know what you all think and what I should do----John
Pocomoke Crape Myrtle Bonsai15

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Pocomoke Crape Myrtle Empty Re: Pocomoke Crape Myrtle

Post  JimLewis Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:37 pm

John, I think this one oughta go out in the yard to add a few pounds before you put it in a pot. These things thicken up rapidly in the ground.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:06 pm

Unfortunately, Pocomoke is only top hardy to Zone 7. It might be risky to put it in the ground in West Virginia.
However, I would plant it in a big pot of coarse bonsai soil to accomplish the same result.
You have several oversize branches or sub-trunks competing with each other. Think about picking one as your main trunk & shortening the others.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Pocomoke Crape Myrtle Empty crape myrtle

Post  moyogijohn Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:49 pm

thanks Jim and mrs.bonsaier..they do have these trees in landscape here i don,t know if this one would be ok or not..it is a stick in a pot i know..what ever is better ..let me know..thanks again john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:01 am

Yeah. He bought it at a local nursery. Local nurseries don't stay in business if they sell too many plants that aren't hardy in the area.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:01 pm

Hi John,
I have been growing this dwarf for two years. The man who had it before me grew it from a cutting approx ten years ago, in regular nursery potting soil. I repotted it into bonsai soil and have been rewarded with lots of flowers. My photo doesn't show the depth, but I'm trying to arrange the trunks to create a framework for foliage pads to display the flowers. This tree will never be a great tree; I could cut it way back, but I'm trying my luck with shaping to display the flowers. Next Spring I will plant it in a larger pot to encourage more top growth; to give me more selections for cutting back, etc. Your tree reminds me of this one, as it once was years ago, probably. I also find that these trees "take kindly" to branch bending and heal easily from breaking/cracking the branches. Better to do it when it is on the dry side.

Pocomoke Crape Myrtle Crepe_10

Another myrtle, not a dwarf, that I'm working on which has been cut back numerous times:
(even with the reverse taper, etc, I like where it is going scratch )

Pocomoke Crape Myrtle Crepe_11
Have fun with it! Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:35 pm

TODD,,I Like your trees the way you have them going..I will think about this stick and do something with it..thanks for the pictures...John

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Pocomoke Crape Myrtle Empty RE: After work Crape Myrtle

Post  moyogijohn Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:13 pm

What do you think now??
Pocomoke Crape Myrtle Bonsai12

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:47 pm

Oh, dear. You need to let it alone for the rest of this year. Then next spring, cut it back some (not as much as a standard), then pinch like heck until the middle of June. Never mind wires for now. You want it to bud back & become more compact.
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:18 am

MRS BONSAISR,,,,Thank you for your comment...i am going to let it alone,i slip potted it into that 12 in.plastic pot because i can not plant in the ground where i live..i will have to admit.i got carried away but had become angry with it because i could not make it look the way i wanted it to...not good bonsai i know..thank you for your help...john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down