Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tofukuji Pot?

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Tofukuji Pot? - Page 2 Empty Re: Tofukuji Pot?

Post  Rich415 Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:47 pm

Yep, that the chop on the pot.

Rich

Rich415

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:06 pm

You guys are killing me! Tofokuji has been counterfeited for a long time as I understand it. A good friend of mine has several authentic ones. I believe many pot makers also have children that utilize a similar hanko. I think Tofokuji was one of them. A trident leaf, clearly visible in the center of the pot would be a warning that it could be a counterfeit. The "too good too be true" cynic coming out in me. But..I am certainly NOT the expert. Russell is correct in that, even if it was a fake, it still maybe a great price. Quality pot for $3.5. If you find any nice hand painted pots......buy them without thinking twice.

Here is a pic of a little Tofokuji pot that was given to me by my bonsai teacher. I'll never plant anything in it of course. Its a treasure on my top shelf.

Tofukuji Pot? - Page 2 Tokofuji2

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:12 pm

Rich,
If the unglazed pot you have displayed above as a "Kaiyou" is of a decent size & is a Kouyo pot, then its worth a few hundred easily. Kouyo is a great pot maker. He is famous for his glazes and shohin size pots. His green/blue pitted glaze is great! Heres one of his pots from my collection and one of several hankos he uses.

Tofukuji Pot? - Page 2 August%2017%20002

Tofukuji Pot? - Page 2 August%2017%20004

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:41 pm

Neil,

You are absolutely correct, but how - and who - can say for sure what's a fake and what's the real deal?

I'll kick myself for the rest of my life over a Tofukuji pot. I was with my teacher picking up Satsuki from one of the best growers in Chiba for a show. He had a son my age and I always enjoyed it when they came to the Bonsai Park - and their satsuki were amazing. He had several small pots set out and wanted me to pick one. I looked them over and picked a really old little pot instead of a smaller Tofukuji. To this day I don't know what I was thinking. Oh well, 25 years later I still have the one I picked and it still brings back wonderful memories, although it is nothing fine.

So what the hell is that last pot? I give up.

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:51 pm

Russell,
The last pot of the Richs' I have NO idea. Its always great to have a nice story to go along with a nice stone, pot or tree. Very Happy Sounds like you had a great time and made good friends.

Neil

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich415 Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:00 pm

Neil,

Here is a pic of the Kayou poy Hanko;
Tofukuji Pot? - Page 2 DSCN1865

I am pretty sure that the little round pot is a Tofukuji because I have seen a few like it in the research i have done. It also shows similar texture to the pot you posted, I just don't have any photography skills. It does not have the maple leaf hanko. In the Bay area there are many people who would be able to travel back and forth from Japan and collect these over the years. There are quite a few pockets of Japanese communities here, so the thought stumbling on to a pot like this is not too far fetched. The oval one, with the maple leaf hanko, I am not sure about.

Russel,

I have no idea what the last pot is either. Maybe over the years I will stumble on to somebody who knows something about it. Thanks for all the effort.

Rich

Rich415

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2