Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CORK OAK

4 posters

Go down

CORK OAK Empty CORK OAK

Post  mike page Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:58 pm

This quercus suber started out life as a seedling growing in the yard of a member of my club. About the time (20-25 years ago) it reached 10 skinny feet tall, she decided it had to go and offered it to me if I wanted to dig it up. So dig I did. I cut it down to about it's present height before digging.
Before anyone comments on the pot, it's only for training purposes until I find a pot of similiar size and shape that is suitable. It's been in this pot for about a year and a half, so I want to have the next pot by early spring 2011.
Today I did a major trim and gave it a good feeding.
Height including pot is 4 feet.

CORK OAK Corkyo10
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

CORK OAK Empty Re: CORK OAK

Post  Storm Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:35 pm

A strange but interesting tree there. Liked it! But had to give it a few min, hehe.
Storm
Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:05 am

For me I would concider chopping down to create more taper, too telephone pole like (sorry if this offends you)Just my honest opinion.Mabye concider 1/3 of the current height.

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:00 am

I agree with Seth.

I find it's a strange shape for an oak, all the more than the brfanches bend downward from the start, which is more suitable for conifers.

Of course, it's always possible to take some distance with natural patterns, but most deciduous trees have branches that go up, then bend downward, and then up again at the end...
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down