Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lace Bark Elm Progression so far.

2 posters

Go down

Lace Bark Elm Progression so far. Empty Lace Bark Elm Progression so far.

Post  Todd Ellis Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:18 am

This is the elm I won at the Potomac Bonsai Association's auction this year. I decided to remove the lowest branch after considering the option of airlayering the top (below the hollow) to make two trees. I like the look of the taller tree; it makes more sense to me. I tried to reposition the top to eliminate the straightness; which didn't seem to flow with the rest of the tree. I tied existing branches downwards to try and create movement, depth and age. I know I have a longs ways to go, but I think I have improved the quality of the tree. I don't like the "S" curve at the top but I will fix that later. I pruned some branches, but will now let tree grow wild for a while. It is budding all over the tree. I think its last repotting was five or more years ago. The new leaves have red/pink centers surrounded by yellow green; very stunning. I forgot that some elms can "rival" Japanese Maples with Spring color. My wife and I joked that with all of the tie downs, I should find a pot which looks like a sailing hull; the ties look like rigging; the trunk a tall mast Laughing I will probably remove the lowest right branch at some point, but will let it grow for now. I did prune it back and wired a new leader to start the taper.

In the last pictures, a little green visitor took up residence. It has been living in the tree for two days now. (look at the golden yellow weet flag and you will see the frog) Smile

Please share your comments and suggestions! Salut, Todd

During the repotting:
Lace Bark Elm Progression so far. 00810

Lace Bark Elm Progression so far. 01410

Lace Bark Elm Progression so far. Auctio10

Frog's hiding place:
Lace Bark Elm Progression so far. Frog_a10

Frog wonders what the movement was all about:
Lace Bark Elm Progression so far. Frog_a11

Closer view of top:
Lace Bark Elm Progression so far. Frog_a12

Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Lace Bark Elm Progression so far. Empty There are depth and layers...but the photos don't show them...it 'really' looks better in person

Post  Todd Ellis Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:37 pm

Todd Ellis wrote:This is the elm I won at the Potomac Bonsai Association's auction this year. I decided to remove the lowest branch after considering the option of airlayering the top (below the hollow) to make two trees. I like the look of the taller tree; it makes more sense to me. I tried to reposition the top to eliminate the straightness; which didn't seem to flow with the rest of the tree. I tied existing branches downwards to try and create movement, depth and age. I know I have a longs ways to go, but I think I have improved the quality of the tree. I don't like the "S" curve at the top but I will fix that later. I pruned some branches, but will now let tree grow wild for a while. It is budding all over the tree. I think its last repotting was five or more years ago. The new leaves have red/pink centers surrounded by yellow green; very stunning. I forgot that some elms can "rival" Japanese Maples with Spring color. My wife and I joked that with all of the tie downs, I should find a pot which looks like a sailing hull; the ties look like rigging; the trunk a tall mast Laughing I will probably remove the lowest right branch at some point, but will let it grow for now. I did prune it back and wired a new leader to start the taper.

In the last pictures, a little green visitor took up residence. It has been living in the tree for two days now. (look at the golden yellow weet flag and you will see the frog) Smile

Please share your comments and suggestions! Salut, Todd

During the repotting:
Lace Bark Elm Progression so far. 00810

Lace Bark Elm Progression so far. 01410

Lace Bark Elm Progression so far. Auctio10

Frog's hiding place:
Lace Bark Elm Progression so far. Frog_a10

Frog wonders what the movement was all about:
Lace Bark Elm Progression so far. Frog_a11

Closer view of top:
Lace Bark Elm Progression so far. Frog_a12

Very Happy
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Lace Bark Elm Progression so far. Empty Elm tree

Post  moyogijohn Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:21 pm

In my opion i would not layer this tree!! you will lose too much of the natural look that it has.. prune the tips of the branches so it will bud back toward the trunk and work from there.. good luck john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Lace Bark Elm Progression so far. Empty Re: Lace Bark Elm Progression so far.

Post  Todd Ellis Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:30 am

Hi John. Thanks for writing. I decided not to air layer this tree.. I will work with it at its current height. I cut back all of the branches and it is budding well. As they say, it can only get better with age. Salut, Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Lace Bark Elm Progression so far. Empty Lace bark elm

Post  moyogijohn Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:16 am

Iam glad you decided not to cut... I thought cutting the branches would cause it to back bud,,glad that it is .it will be a more natureal looking tree doing what you are doing..that is my opion so post some more pictures when you can...good luck with it..john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Lace Bark Elm Progression so far. Empty Re: Lace Bark Elm Progression so far.

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down