Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GSBF Bonsai Garden

3 posters

Go down

GSBF Bonsai Garden Empty GSBF Bonsai Garden

Post  mike page Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:09 am

The Golden State Bonsai Federation has a bonsai collection at the Bonsai Garden Lake Merritt in Oakland California. There are over 300 bonsai in the collection, of which about 50 are on exhibit at one time. Kathy Shaner is the curator, and Gordon Deeg is the director.
Gorden asked me to photograph the trees so they can have the full collection on their computer. I agreed to give it a try. It will be one helluva job. Each tree except for the very largest ones will be moved to the table I've set up for photography
Each tree has a catalog number. My wife/assistant has made up a numbering system so each photo is identified by number and date.
I will need to find more assistants to do the tote and fetch with the trees. A few hours there today reminded me of my 77 years. CREEK AND GROAN!!
The image is a ginkgo about 30 inches tall.

GSBF Bonsai Garden Ginkgo10

mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

GSBF Bonsai Garden Empty GSBF Bonsai Garden

Post  Robert J. Baran Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:31 am

And for the detailed and on-going investigative story behind the oldest documented tree in the collection, please see
http://www.phoenixbonsai.com/1800Refs/Burlingame.html .

Robert J. Baran
Bonsai Researcher and Historian
Robert J. Baran
Robert J. Baran

Back to top Go down

GSBF Bonsai Garden Empty Re: GSBF Bonsai Garden

Post  mike page Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:39 am

Robert, excellent post! The oak is in very healthy condition, and is a most unusual bonsai. I remember when it arrived at the collection. A problem tree that required the expertise of Kathy Shaner to bring it to is current state.
This is truly an old bonsai with a fascinating history.

Mike
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

Post  Bugeye Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:19 pm

I never thought to blame it on the Squirrels Shocked
Very nice artical. Love the oak.

Bugeye

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content