Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exposing nebari - timing

2 posters

Go down

Exposing nebari - timing Empty Exposing nebari - timing

Post  DangerousBry Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:19 am

Hi all,
question..... When would be the best timing for exposing more of the root system??
At time of repotting??
Or at anytime?
I am looking at a couple of my trees for the beginnners table at our club bonsai show. Scrapping a little of the soil back for fresh Akadama is revealing some nice roots... Is it worth pursueing now or waiting for repot next year?

Thanks
Bryan
DangerousBry
DangerousBry

Back to top Go down

Exposing nebari - timing Empty Re: Exposing nebari - timing

Post  Kev Bailey Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:40 pm

Hi Bryan,

If the roots are large thick ones, not fine feeder ones, you can expose them any time. Just dont scrape away too much soil so that you are breaking the finer roots. Then top dress with your fresh soil and water and all will be well.

It helps if we know what trees though. Azalea roots are very different to Maple roots etc.

Just noticed that you are from Wrexham, just down the road from me. I'm in St Asaph. Which club do you attend?
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DangerousBry Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:33 pm

Kev Bailey wrote:
Just noticed that you are from Wrexham, just down the road from me. I'm in St Asaph. Which club do you attend?
hi Kev...
I actually sat next to yourself and Stuart on Sunday night meeting up at Green Dragon. While DY was talkin about show prep.
The trees I'm prepping are juniper 'blue star' one cascade and one tree.
It was just a question in general also, because I've taken some soil topping off another juniper I have and have exposed some interesting roots, however I didn't want to pursue it if it was detremental.
Cheers
Bry
DangerousBry
DangerousBry

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:35 pm

Haha, wondered if it was you! Good talk wasn't it.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DangerousBry Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:56 pm

Kev Bailey wrote:Haha, wondered if it was you! Good talk wasn't it.
it was a great talk... Till I got home and found how many dead measles there were hiding in the foliage!!!
I went round to the dave's houses on tues night to talk about the 'shot blasting' idea with them. I'm waiting to hear back as to whether or not they've tested it out yet. Their trees are pretty impressive compared to what I have!!!
Bry
DangerousBry
DangerousBry

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down