Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Babies.

+8
Paul B (Scotland)
Stone Monkey
bonsaisr
Jay Gaydosh
bonsai monkey
KimchiMonger
littleart-fx
David Brunner
12 posters

Go down

My Babies. Empty My Babies.

Post  Guest Sun May 09, 2010 8:57 pm

I recently posted a Pine dedicated to my father. These two trees began life when my children were born. The first is a Chinese Elm I started from a cutting the year my first son was born in 1997. It spent a few years in the ground. Height 6"My Babies. Img_0327

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 09, 2010 9:03 pm

This one is a Rowan raised from seed in the year my second son was born 1999. It has always been in pot cultivation. Height 4"My Babies. Img_0328

Back to top Go down

My Babies. Empty Re: My Babies.

Post  David Brunner Sun May 09, 2010 9:36 pm

Will - nice little trees and a very nice remembrance. Great idea! (But a lot of pressure to be certain they thrive…)

The Rowan is particularly nice I’m my eye – not a “traditional” look by any means; but one that is bright, cheerful and vital.

What about a container to show off its non-traditional beauty? A slab jumps to mind, but a lower profile “modern” pot would likely work as well or better.
David B.

David Brunner

Back to top Go down

Post  littleart-fx Sun May 09, 2010 10:24 pm

will,.....as a lot in my life trees also come with a story.....in remembrance or just a good day!
I''ll stick anything to it.

My most thriving trees have long story's attached to mostly people,.....if they don't.....they have to wait for one!

grtzz from Holland where in my house nor garden, nothing gets thrown away,.......stories.

I like the ulmus,......nice and forgiving trees to build with.....as like......?
Both healthy little,......!

GOOD! Smile
littleart-fx
littleart-fx

Back to top Go down

Post  KimchiMonger Mon May 10, 2010 3:36 am

Very nice! Thank you for sharing the photos and stories behind them. I also LOVE the Elm Trees above all so I really enjoyed these.

Great job and dedication!
KimchiMonger
KimchiMonger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 10, 2010 4:03 pm

The Rowan leaf pruned. It will come back with a crop of tiny leaves. Will post when it does.My Babies. Img_0331

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 27, 2010 12:38 pm

Three weeks after leaf prune and a good feed. New buds everywhere. The leaves will be a lot smaller as well. Will update when it's opened fully.My Babies. Img_0415

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsai monkey Thu May 27, 2010 2:06 pm

Cracking idea Will and 2 lovely trees.
I'm trying to "do" a couple of trees for my 2 children but I want them to "help me" with them so that (hopefully) they will take them over when I'm old and infirm (about a couple of years me thinks Laughing )

Thanks for sharing Will,
Okk, Okk,
Simon
bonsai monkey
bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Thu May 27, 2010 2:34 pm

I love the "deception" involved with a good bonsai. The first shot of the Rowan tree looked much bigger than the one with your thumb in the picture (unless you have unusually large thumb(s)!)

Here is an odd note (pun intended); after a 9 year hiatus from the bagpipes, I have just resumed taking lessons. One of the traditional tunes my instructor chose for me to concentrate on is "Rowan Tree". Never did know what a Rowan Tree was... now I do!

BTW, very nice trees!

Jay
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

My Babies. Empty My Babies

Post  bonsaisr Thu May 27, 2010 3:45 pm

Jay Gaydosh wrote:Never did know what a Rowan Tree was...
Jay
In this country we call them mountain ash. The American species is Sorbus americana. The rowan tree is Sorbus aucuparia. It is supposedly useful to witches. A house inspector told me to soak the berries in vodka.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Thu May 27, 2010 3:52 pm

bonsaisr wrote:
Jay Gaydosh wrote:Never did know what a Rowan Tree was...
Jay
In this country we call them mountain ash. The American species is Sorbus americana. The rowan tree is Sorbus aucuparia. It is supposedly useful to witches. A house inspector told me to soak the berries in vodka.
Iris

Thanks Iris for the info on the Rowan Tree.

as for the "witch's brew. I think I heard of that remedy before.

Soak the berries in vodka, drain, drink the vodka... pitch the berries! Very Happy Cures pretty much anything!

Jay
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 27, 2010 4:47 pm

The Rowan or Mountain Ash, in Finnish folklore was the first plant on the Earth. The goddess Rauni (where Rowan comes from), came down from heaven and took the form of a Rowan tree. She then got together with Ukko (god of thunder) and they made the rest of the plants around the world. My youngest son is called Rowan by the way. And before you ask, my first son is not called Chinese Elm! Its Stanley.

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Thu May 27, 2010 7:35 pm

Will

And there was me thinking your other son was called Elmo Embarassed

Love the Rowan, and the Elm, really nice too see, thanks for showing

Regards

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul B (Scotland) Fri May 28, 2010 1:23 am

Lovely trees Will, the Elm looks much bigger than its actual size.
First time I've ever seen a Rowan defoliated, I wasn't even aware you could. It looks like its been a great success.

Does defoliating work on common Ash too? I love the look of them when they first appear, but then a few weeks later they're 5 times the size.

Nice idea having trees relating to the birth of your children, I can think of a couple of my trees that fit in with the times both my kids were born. I also like Simon's idea of getting them involved in the trees developement, a couple of years down the line for my two though.

Are any of your sons interested in bonsai?
Paul B (Scotland)
Paul B (Scotland)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 28, 2010 12:04 pm

Neither of my sons are interested in bonsai at the moment. They like the fact that they have their own tree but thats where it ends. Scateboards and Xbox are the order of the day.
I think you can leaf prune Ash but I would do it early, as in now.

Back to top Go down

Post  NJF Fri May 28, 2010 1:57 pm

It is indeed a great idea Will and thanks to you I have plenty of oak saplings from the acorns you sent me to commemorate the birth of my daughter last year. Many thanks for that again. It will be many years until I'm able to post any pictures of trees resembling bonsai to the standard of yours though I'm sure.
NJF
NJF

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 28, 2010 9:23 pm

Hello NJF. Glad to hear you had a good success rate with the Acorns. A few years cultivation in the ground and you'll be well on the way.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed van der Reek Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:54 pm

Hi Will,I want to show you my Mountain Ash shohin cascade, made from a seedling from my garden Very Happy
It is 10 years old now Smile
Greetings Ed
My Babies. 01310
Ed van der Reek
Ed van der Reek

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Wallace Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:09 am

Very Cool thread. I am trying the same thing but my boys are only 5 and 2 so it will be a while until they are able (and possibly interested) in helping out. There names are Oak and Mica Ash. I have a small number of Young Oaks I started back then in the ground but off to a slow start, and a mountain Ash for my 2 year old. I guess it is an idea many of us have maybe I will post a few picture in years to come as they develop some more Very Happy
Robert
Robert Wallace
Robert Wallace

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:17 am

The years soon pass and I am so glad I did it. Good to hear that others have done so too. You have some very fine pots to put those trees in too Robert. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Ricky Keaton Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:51 am

My Babies. 1pict010

my maple that i got as a sapling when my granddaughter Hayley was born they are both 13 years old now.
Ricky Keaton
Ricky Keaton

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:18 pm

Pictures taken today. The leaf size is much reduced.My Babies. Img_0812

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:21 pm

Photo from the right to show the depth.My Babies. Img_0813

Back to top Go down