Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In less than 150 words "What is Bonsai"

+13
Joe Hatfield
David Brunner
fiona
Fuzzy
bobby little
bonsainotwar
Walter Pall
Jay Gaydosh
Mario Stefano
Kev Bailey
Russell Coker
F. Waheedy
littleart-fx
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

In less than 150 words "What is Bonsai" Empty In less than 150 words "What is Bonsai"

Post  Guest Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:50 pm

I am often asked "What is Bonsai" and clearly I have my take on this, but if you were asked, can you describe it in less than 150 words and still get across your approach, philosophy, love?

Here is your challenge "What is Bonsai" say it in less than 150 words

Lets rule out the wise guys who can sum it up in two words "little trees"

Here is your opportunity to wax lyrical about our shared passion I love you

Tony

Back to top Go down

In less than 150 words "What is Bonsai" Empty Re: In less than 150 words "What is Bonsai"

Post  littleart-fx Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:38 pm

Some one should start,....and these are not included as words! are they
English,....wax lyrical....NiZe!

Ok,....i am not counting....for starters was that a go,....go

As living the thing and creating deadwood in measurements,....read cabinets and more....
Eric sanders gave me something else...a little tree in a pot covered in balance.
Wood must be the best constructive matter in this world in building and schmucking up!
This in life or dead material gives a challenge in life,....big time!
It lives and for sure i know what is behind the bark.
Symbiosis in nature balance to be worn out in cases,......
Tree in a pot branches as verbs,....leafs or else as words......the image you build to....pure poetic in poetry that is!
It evolves seeks balance in real life....as i wanted to show myself to the world. in a tree or picture of this moment!
Sharing precious moments in balance.
As in me with a tree,...friends in sharing trees....and yes people showing trees, pure poetry in motion!
i saw trees @ the last gincko show.....witch made me cry of joy,....in fundamental being! (dont count,....it where the most simplest in showing)
I walked out at first sight,..and came back to receive them thoughts
poetry in time!

(counting,....stoped have way haha laughs)

YES,.....!

(edit(ors) As in music for now......honest approach in language,...and sharing my garden!
I write in spoken language,....sorry 4 that!

Bye! all!

Last edited by littleart-fx on Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : lost in wax! the greasy one....sticky to all points......!)
littleart-fx
littleart-fx

Back to top Go down

In less than 150 words "What is Bonsai" Empty Re: In less than 150 words "What is Bonsai"

Post  F. Waheedy Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:11 am

I'd say a bonsai is not a specific type of tree but any tree that is grown in miniature to resemble an aged tree.
The more mature a bonsai tree, the more value it gains. Literally hundreds of types of trees can be grown and trained to be bonsai.
Like painting and sculpture, bonsai is an art form as well. Just that its a living art and is always changing.
F. Waheedy
F. Waheedy

Back to top Go down

Post  littleart-fx Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:38 am

measto f waheedy!.......it's being beyond.....!
The tree as we speak shares a force within us,....obi one says.......!
Ask the wife,....hahahaha!

grtz,...as you're humble servant in trees! Luke hahaha!

pirat
littleart-fx
littleart-fx

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:57 am

When I was studying in Japan in the mid '80's, my bonsai teacher asked me that very question.

As I went on about art and nature and blah, blah, blah, he cut me off and came back with "Bonsai are the toys of rich men!!" Since we were both working for one, I could hardly argue - all I had to do was look around.

Bonsai are also the toys of not-so-rich men, and for that I'm thankful!

Russell
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

In less than 150 words "What is Bonsai" Empty In less than 150 words "What is Bonsai"

Post  Guest Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:11 am

What does bonsai mean to me? I can't now imagine not being involved with little potted trees. Of all the Art forms and mediums, bonsai has taken me over and i feel meshed, intwined, like a symbiosis. I need my trees and they need me. When working on my bonsai, nothing else gets in the way and I am totally absorbed by the tree. Sharing my passion is also hugely important, and that other people feel the same way as I do about trees, be they big or small, gives me great pleasure.
To walk in the woods, marveling at trees majesty, strength and vulnerability. Their longevity and mortality.These places are not only my school, but my church and my bonsai are a reflection of my study and imagination.
If bonsai are considered toys of rich men then I am very rich indeed.

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:17 am

That is very eloquent and quite touching, Will.

This is modified from our clubs "What is bonsai" leaflet. Really quite difficult to keep the definition down to 150. I would have liked to briefly mention other aspects such as display, pots tables etc. Tony, you are a hard taskmaster!

Bonsai is the art of creating miniature trees, reflecting those in nature and has developed over the millennia in China. It was refined by the Japanese to a high art form and now there is global interest. At its simplest, Bonsai is any plant or tree in a pot. They are pampered and looked after with the greatest of care, attention to watering and feeding. Their roots are renewed by periodic trimming. Diseases and insect damage are prevented. Most Bonsai are outdoor plants and can only be brought indoors, briefly, for display. Creating a bonsai requires the owner to make decisions based on horticultural principles (the health of the tree), 3 dimensional design and creating an illusion of great age. Simple tricks such as lowering the branches make a tree look older. This addictive hobby can equal football, fishing or golf at captivating enthusiasts and taking over their lives.

I make that 149!

I had to remove several bits that I really like, such as how we make bad drivers, because of the constant desire to check out trees in the landscape!
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mario Stefano Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:05 pm

English
Bonsai is ... tree in a pot with which evokes the look of age and characteristics of the species under the impact of nature and habitats through the creation and spiritual expression of their views ... no matter the size of the tree!
Bonsai is not owning a bonsai tree, but enjoy caring for them, especially in their creation.

Croatian
Bonsai je ... drvo u posudi s kojim vlasnik dočarava izgled starosti i odlike vrste pod utjecajem Prirode i staništa, kroz kreaciju i duševni izričaj svog viđenja … bez obzira na veličinu drveta!
Bonsai nije posjedovanje bonsai drveća, nego uživanje u brizi za njih, a posebno u njihovom stvaranju.

Regards
Mario
Mario Stefano
Mario Stefano

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:17 pm

The symbiotic relationship between human and tree resulting in the expression of art and forestry in miniature.

(Note: While one might question the "symbiotic relationship" of bonsai, I would suggest that while the tree relies on the human to provide for its quality of life and/or its life in general; it is through the tree that the bonsaist seeks, and hopefully achieves, an increase in quality of life through interaction with the tree.)
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Walter Pall Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:21 pm

A little tree, styled by man, which touches my soul, which impresses me, which makes me want to look at it and look again.
Walter Pall
Walter Pall

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsainotwar Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:34 pm

A very addicting,and very aggrivating pastime,whereby one can spend ten,or fifteen years getting a small,little tree to look natural,and aged,and then have the tree suddenly decide it wants to keel over and die,for no apparent reason.

bonsainotwar

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby little Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:41 am

something I can't do. Yet.
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:22 pm

bobby little wrote:something I can't do. Yet.

So positive Bobby, and so close to the 150 word target.

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:14 pm

Russell Coker wrote:When I was studying in Japan in the mid '80's, my bonsai teacher asked me that very question.

As I went on about art and nature and blah, blah, blah, he cut me off and came back with "Bonsai are the toys of rich men!!" Since we were both working for one, I could hardly argue - all I had to do was look around.

Bonsai are also the toys of not-so-rich men, and for that I'm thankful!

Russell

Very much agreed! Well said. Smile
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:16 pm

bonsainotwar wrote:A very addicting,and very aggrivating pastime,whereby one can spend ten,or fifteen years getting a small,little tree to look natural,and aged,and then have the tree suddenly decide it wants to keel over and die,for no apparent reason.
lol! Very funny thumbs up
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:19 pm

will baddeley wrote:
bobby little wrote:something I can't do. Yet.

So positive Bobby, and so close to the 150 word target.

But is less not more, Will?

And, if one were to analyse Bobby's statement, then it becomes abundantly manifest that he blends the negative "Something I can't do" beautifully with the positive, optimistic and indeed highly purposeful "Yet".

I like it. It's the new black.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:28 pm

I apologise and bow to your superior intellect. That one went straight over my head. Far too highbrow for me and my humble offerings In less than 150 words "What is Bonsai" 290833

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:31 pm

I'm not sure which of us is being more sarcastic now! In less than 150 words "What is Bonsai" Icon_rolleyes In less than 150 words "What is Bonsai" Icon_biggrin
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:40 pm

fiona wrote:I'm not sure which of us is being more sarcastic now! In less than 150 words "What is Bonsai" Icon_rolleyes In less than 150 words "What is Bonsai" Icon_biggrin

Phew! I thought you were being serious. I had the whole... animals in bits of deadwood thing going on again. Stiil have bad dreams about that one.

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:49 pm

I've got a very nice bottle of Tamdhu sitting here - it's wonderful therapy for getting the whole animal in a bit of wood thing out of one's head.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby little Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:37 pm

watch and learn kiddies. Like the Japanese fella said ain the Jet Li version of fist of fury, it's all about the preservation of energy. I thought it was a mini haiku.
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:54 pm

bobby little wrote:... I thought it was a mini haiku.
Is that not Hiawatha's girlfriend?

So long, fellow.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  David Brunner Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:08 am

Fiona – your response definitely deserves more than just a mini haha! And your familiarity with American history and letters is gratifying!

Thank you for the laugh!
David Brunner

David Brunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:34 am

fiona wrote:I've got a very nice bottle of Tamdhu sitting here - it's wonderful therapy for getting the whole animal in a bit of wood thing out of one's head.

Hey, Fiona, Can you find out what the status is on Cardhu, It's be 6 or 7 years since I was able to buy some.
They got hammered by the Scotch Board for blending years and calling it a single malt.

But I liked it!

Jay
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:17 am

David Brunner wrote:Fiona ...your familiarity with American history and letters is gratifying!
Thanks, David. I always did like to take the road less traveled by.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next