Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to shape multiple Jade in one container?

4 posters

Go down

How to shape multiple Jade in one container? Empty How to shape multiple Jade in one container?

Post  shy Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:32 pm

I have a decision to make and was wondering if both styles would look good or one would be more preferable when it come to Bonsai art or looks.

I have recently bought a container that has many Jade trees and they seem to intertwine...when starting to shape and trim should I try to treat them as individual trees where it would look like a bird's eye view of and Island of multiple trees? If so I don't know where to start as the branches and trunks seem to weave into one and other.

What I would like to do is make the top section of the trees look like one tree but would this look foolish or stray away from what Bonsai are all about?

I would love to hear your opinions or even if you could show me pictures of what would look nice working with what I have.

Thanks,

Carole

How to shape multiple Jade in one container? Bunsai21

shy

Back to top Go down

How to shape multiple Jade in one container? Empty How to shape multiple Jade in one container?

Post  bonsaisr Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:05 am

I'm afraid it is premature to call these even pre-bonsai. If I were you, I would get them out of that pot & well separated. Grow them in individual pots or one large bulb pan, in coarse bonsai soil. Get some growth on them. Put them outdoors for the summer, gradually to full sun, and feed heavily. Once you have beefed them up in a couple of years you can think about styling. If you Google on Portulacaria afra bonsai, you will get some ideas.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

How to shape multiple Jade in one container? Empty Re: How to shape multiple Jade in one container?

Post  shy Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:17 pm

Thanks Iris,

I was under the impression that I had to start as early as possible...I'm glad that I'll have allot more planning time...they're both in full growth and producing plenty of new foliage so I will certainly wait before re-potting but as soon as the time is right I will certainly take up on your advice.

In your experience do you think I should try the next pot more shallow and (larger as you suggested) then what they're currently in, this would be after trimming the roots I'm assuming?

The roots are very tight already I hope that it will hold up until the foliage slows enough to re-pot...in worse case scenario which would be best for the trees if they start showing signs of distress...

1-re-potting while in full foliage growth
2-still wait till foliage slows

Thanks again for your advice,

Carole

shy

Back to top Go down

How to shape multiple Jade in one container? Empty Re: How to shape multiple Jade in one container?

Post  RKatzin Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:12 pm

Hi Carole, It's important to know that even though they look like a tree, these plants are not trees. They are succulents and must be cared for as such. Be very careful with your watering, letting the soil dry well between watering. I agree with Iris, if what you want is a grove of individual trees then you need to seperate them and grow them out and then plant them back together again. They will grow into a clump as is, all the trunks melding into one base with several tops forming a canopy, which isn't a bad idea either. Just pot it up as is and let 'er grow. As it develops all prunings can be easily started for new trees to make your grove. Treat these as you would cactus and they'll do well. A bit of caution, it's real easy to end up with hundreds of these, so set a limit. Smile
RKatzin
RKatzin

Back to top Go down

Post  shy Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:28 pm

Thanks Rick,

Since they like to multiply I might try both looks...I have seen new plants coming out of the soil already.

I've been careful about the watering but I think because of the roots being so dense it has been working in my favor as the Jade potting dries faster then my Ficus and they both seem to be in the same type of soil.

I will certainly make changes to the soil mix when it comes time to re-pot though to maximize the drainage for the Jade. The current mix seems to have regular soil with a lot of pieces of mulch like wood which I assume will keep a lot of the moisture trapped and as you've mentionned its not a good idea for Jade.

Thanks again for your input...cute pooches by the way my neighbors have some as well and I on the other hand have a Shepherd and a Dane...my Dane could do a little more then dig up a pot and we would not have to investigate too far to find out who did it hehe!

shy

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:12 am

shy wrote:
I was under the impression that I had to start as early as possible.
Exactly. That is what we are telling you to do.

shy wrote:they're both in full growth and producing plenty of new foliage
Carole
That is when you repot tropicals.

[quote="shy"In your experience do you think I should try the next pot more shallow and (larger as you suggested) than what they're currently in, this would be after trimming the roots I'm assuming?[/quote]

MUCH larger. No reason to trim the roots. These are not bonsai yet.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  yogesh Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:47 pm

just wanted to share this

[img]How to shape multiple Jade in one container? Dsc01314[/img][img]How to shape multiple Jade in one container? Dsc01315[/img]
yogesh
yogesh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down