Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JBP Question ??

5 posters

Go down

JBP Question ?? Empty JBP Question ??

Post  Tom McCue Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:28 pm

How long do you let the new strong candles on Japanese Pine get before cutting back? Are other pines treated the same way?
Everything I have read tells how and where and when (Strong, Medium Weak etc.) but does not tell how long to let them grow before decandling.

Tom
Tom McCue
Tom McCue

Back to top Go down

JBP Question ?? Empty Re: JBP Question ??

Post  RKatzin Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:12 pm

Hi Tom, This may be the most often asked question concerning pines and difficult to answer because it depends on your objective. I was really in the dark on this until I got my hands on The Bonsai Book, by Dan Barton. On pages 72-74 he gives a very concise description of objectives and techniques to achieve the desired result.
RKatzin
RKatzin

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:45 pm

Boon has a good video on the subject. It is a different approach than the traditional timing strong medium weak de-candelling. He makes it pretty simple and very straight forward. I have a friend who has been using this method for years with exceptional results.

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom McCue Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:03 pm

RKatzin wrote:Hi Tom, This may be the most often asked question concerning pines and difficult to answer because it depends on your objective. I was really in the dark on this until I got my hands on The Bonsai Book, by Dan Barton. On pages 72-74 he gives a very concise description of objectives and techniques to achieve the desired result.

Thanks for your reply I will check it out.
Tom
Tom McCue
Tom McCue

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom McCue Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:35 pm

NeilDellinger wrote:Boon has a good video on the subject. It is a different approach than the traditional timing strong medium weak de-candelling. He makes it pretty simple and very straight forward. I have a friend who has been using this method for years with exceptional results.

Neil! Thanks, Dah, I have both Boons Video's and just replayed the one on de-candling. My question is answered. Boons 2 video are sensational. I have started to repot by his instruction. I will also follow his decandling instructions. Oh if he lived in Michigan and I could be taught by him. I wish he would come out with more instructional DVD's. (U out there Boon Hint Hint)
Tom McCue
Tom McCue

Back to top Go down

Post  boon Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:45 am

hi Tom,
two new dvd are coming out sometimes in May. they should be out with in a month. you will get a notification.
if you have any other question about black pine, pls let me know.
thank you for your support.

i do not check these forums very often. i still travel around repotting, pruning and wiring my clients' and students' bonsai.
boon
boon

Back to top Go down

Post  FrankP999 Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:15 am

boon
I cannot wait for more DVD's.

Do you pinch any candles in late spring before you cut them in July? I am specifically asking about young trees that still need trunk fattening. thanks

Frank

FrankP999

Back to top Go down

Post  boon Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:43 pm

FrankP999 wrote:boon
I cannot wait for more DVD's.

Do you pinch any candles in late spring before you cut them in July? I am specifically asking about young trees that still need trunk fattening. thanks

Frank

no, i do not pinch any candle when i grow for the trunk size. i do cut it and find new apex when it reach the size that i want.
basicly, i follow the technique in bonsai today # 20. i think it is re-published in the pine book.
boon
boon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down