Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I learned a new word today

+4
Hawaiian77
Jay Gaydosh
fiona
JimLewis
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I learned a new word today Empty I learned a new word today

Post  JimLewis Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:29 pm

A newspaper (USA Today) caption of a bunch of people being sworn in as new citizens:

Former refugees and asylees are sworn . . .

How did I make 73 years without running into THAT word before?

(BTW, spell checker doesn't recognize it. Neither does Webster's 10th. Or American Heritage. I no longer have the OED, alas.)
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

I learned a new word today Empty Re: I learned a new word today

Post  fiona Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:50 pm

JimLewis wrote: I no longer have the OED, alas.)
... where, much to my amazement, I found it lurking at the bottom of the asylum entry.

asylee noun a person who is seeking, or has been granted, political asylum M20

So, originated sometime between 1930 and 1969. Well whaddya know!

And there was I looking forward to an opportunity to lament the decline in journalism standards too!
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:53 pm

Webster's On-line Dictionary lists a special definition of the word "asylee."

An alien in the United States or at a port of entry who is found to be unable or unwilling to return to his or her country of nationality, or to seek the protection of that country because of persecution or a well-founded fear of persecution. Persecution or the fear thereof must be based on the alien's race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion. For persons with no nationality, the country of nationality is considered to be the country in which the alien last habitually resided. Asylees are eligible to adjust to lawful permanent resident status after one year of continuous presence in the United States. These immigrants are limited to 10,000 adjustments per fiscal year.
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:01 pm

Right On Jay....... "You Da Man"!!

-Tim Cool
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Hatfield Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:57 pm

Heh... I guess us younger gents and gals have a step up on you old farts. I use asylees on a daily basis with all my friends and family, along with Floccinaucinihilipilification, and Multilingualism.
Joe Hatfield
Joe Hatfield

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:50 pm

1930 and 1960? That was about when phonics was hooted out of the curriculum. If someone had had to sound out asylee, it would have never made it to word-hood.

Well, Fiona and all . . . be assured that the word shall never again pass my lips.

And Jay, if that is a "special definition," what is the \"regular\" definition? (And just so you know, ever since M\'soft\'s error-ridden, and laughed-out-of-business Encarta Dictionary I have distrusted computer and on-line dictionaries.)

"Multilingualism:" That\'s what all us USAians should practice, but won't because some head-in-the-sand Know Nothing told us it was UnAmurricun to speak anything but "Murrican." Too bad most of us botch even that. I have no idea what that other word is, IF it is.

Last edited by JimLewis on Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:52 pm

Joe Hatfield wrote:(..) and Multilingualism.

What that mean ? White man that speak with forked tongue ?
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Hatfield Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:55 pm

Yes but with great skill.
Joe Hatfield
Joe Hatfield

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:30 pm

JimLewis wrote:1930 and 1960? That was about when phonics was hooted out of the curriculum.
That happened a bit later over here. It's making a comeback over here in some quarters, and ya know what?: it's being hailed as a "major breakthrough". Plus ca change.

JimLewis wrote:Well, Fiona and all . . . be assured that the word shall never again pass my lips.
Mine neither, but only because it's an ugly word.

JimLewis wrote:I have no idea what that other word is, IF it is.
I think you'll find it's one of those words that gets trotted out in the who can say the longest word competitions. In our day it'd probably have been antidisestablishmentarianism or some such.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:55 pm

Joe Hatfield wrote:Heh... I guess us younger gents and gals have a step up on you old farts. I use asylees on a daily basis with all my friends and family, along with Floccinaucinihilipilification, and Multilingualism.

Watch yer language, this is a family forum! Shocked
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:00 pm

Related phrases: political asylee

Definitions of asylee on the Web:

(US, law) An alien in the United States or at a port of entry who is found to be unable or unwilling to return to his or her country of ...
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/asylee

A person at a port of entry or in the United States, who is unable or unwilling to return to his/her country of nationality or habitual residence because of persecution or a well-founded fear of persecution on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or ...
www.grads.vt.edu/igss/general_info/definitions.html

an individual who has won a claim for asylum. Asylees are eligible to work in the United States and may be able to travel internationally. ...
www.immigrationequality.org/template.php

Also known as a person seeking “political asylum.” This status is granted by the Immigration Service to an alien residing in the .US because of a well-founded fear of persecution in the individual's country because of race, religion, ethnic group, or social group. ...
www.dpw.state.pa.us/oimpolicymanuals/manuals/bop/ca/101/101-01.htm

A person granted asylum in the United States after applying with the CIS or the Immigration Court. An asylee may apply for adjustment of status after one year of continuous presence in the United States and their children and spouse may be included in such application if the relationship existed ...
www.ladominguezlaw.com/11.html

Oddly enough the Webster's on-line Dictionary indicates the web usage of "asylee" is an average of 4 times per day.
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:07 pm

Who'd a thunk it?
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:11 pm

JimLewis wrote:Who'd a thunk it?

No foolin!

I looked it up twice today, it's gonna skew the whole statistical mess.! Very Happy
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:36 pm

Jay Gaydosh wrote: Watch yer language, this is a family forum! I learned a new word today Icon_eek
Yeah, Joe. Watch yer language! I don't want my pupils all goin' around shouting "Floccinaucinihilipilification!" at each other! I learned a new word today Icon_razz
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:03 pm

From Wiktionary:

Floccinaucinihilipilification: A jocular coinage, apparently by students at Eton, combining a number of roughly synonymous Latin stems. Latin flocci, from floccus, a wisp or piece of wool + nauci, from naucum, a trifle + nihili, from the Latin pronoun, nihil (“‘nothing’”) + pili, from pilus, a hair, something insignificant (all therefore having the sense of "worthless" or "nothing") + -fication. "Flocci non facio" was a Latin expression of worthlessness, literally "I do not make a straw of...".

The act or habit of describing or regarding something as worthless.

Often cited as the longest non-technical word in the English language, being one letter longer than the commonly-cited antidisestablishmentarianism.
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:14 pm

But still no match for our place name, Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:20 pm

JAY!!! Gonna go outside an' play with some trees an' stop readin' that darn dictionary!!!!! I learned a new word today Icon_lol

And if you think Kev's joking see here

Last edited by fiona on Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : That bugger Bailey beat me to it!)
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:29 pm

And it is very easy to pronounce. Just gargle using a shot-glass-worth of Listerine mouthwash.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:31 pm

It's easy for me to say! I could do it phonetically for all, but am sure that it's on Wikipedia or somesuch.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:39 pm

I found it, it is listed as a publicity stunt so that their town would have the longest name on the list of UK railroad stops. It is listed on the list of longest names, but I believe Germany actually has the longest name.
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:10 pm

Always ready to attract visitors to Wales. Our "publicity stunt" was artificially contrived in the 1860s to bestow upon the station the honour of having the longest name of any railway station in the United Kingdom. A pretty early example of a publicity stunt. Wink
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:36 pm

Kev Bailey wrote:Always ready to attract visitors to Wales. Our "publicity stunt" was artificially contrived in the 1860s to bestow upon the station the honour of having the longest name of any railway station in the United Kingdom. A pretty early example of a publicity stunt. Wink

Dats what the page said...EXACTLY! Laughing
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  alex e Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:19 am

fiona wrote:
Jay Gaydosh wrote: Watch yer language, this is a family forum! I learned a new word today Icon_eek
Yeah, Joe. Watch yer language! I don't want my pupils all goin' around shouting "Floccinaucinihilipilification!" at each other! I learned a new word today Icon_razz
Sounds illegal Suspect Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Alex e
alex e
alex e

Back to top Go down

Post  alex e Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:22 am

Kev Bailey wrote:But still no match for our place name, Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.
Yeh! thats easy for you to say lol!
alex e
alex e

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:21 pm

Kev Bailey wrote:But still no match for our place name, Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.

I'd like to buy a vowel! "U" bounce
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next