Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hawthorn raft

+3
anttal63
Mario Stefano
Jeremy
7 posters

Go down

Hawthorn raft Empty Hawthorn raft

Post  Jeremy Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:00 pm

Hi,
At Dragon bonsai's Wednesday workshop, John Harris continued working on his hawthorn raft.

This is how the raft looked 12 months ago.
Hawthorn raft 692910

and one month ago.
Hawthorn raft Dscf2410

John further wired and shaped the raft.
Hawthorn raft Dscf3712
Hawthorn raft Dscf3811

Here is the raft at the endof the workshop.
Hawthorn raft Dscf3810

A picture of the 12 months progress.
Hawthorn raft 12mths10
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down

Hawthorn raft Empty Re: Hawthorn raft

Post  Mario Stefano Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:07 pm

Excellent
Very elegant creations, like me!
Mario Stefano
Mario Stefano

Back to top Go down

Post  anttal63 Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:27 am

Very nice indeed Geremy! cheers
anttal63
anttal63

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick Moquin Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:45 pm

I absolutely like the composition. I think if it was mine, I would be removing the final zigzag from the tallest tree and start working on refining the apex and increasing ramification in the lower branches.
Rick Moquin
Rick Moquin

Back to top Go down

Hawthorn raft Empty Re Hawthorn Raft

Post  alex e Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:03 pm

I would go one further than that Rick and take all the present
apex,s OFF! from the three trunks, they are all just too tall !
the mature apex image is one below Wink

ALEX
alex e
alex e

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick Moquin Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:50 pm

alex e wrote:I would go one further than that Rick and take all the present
apex,s OFF! from the three trunks, they are all just too tall !
the mature apex image is one below Wink

ALEX
Ouch! I was trying to be nice Smile I have been blamed in the past for being to direct. But, yes you are right Very Happy
Rick Moquin
Rick Moquin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:16 am

I thought initially, that a reduction of all the apexes, would improve the overall image but the more I look at it, the more I like the taller elegance. With a few more years refining, its going to be stunning Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  alex e Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:12 pm

will baddeley wrote:I thought initially, that a reduction of all the apexes, would improve the overall image but the more I look at it, the more I like the taller elegance. With a few more years refining, its going to be stunning Very Happy

Hi Will in which case all the apex,s should at least be going in the same direction,
the energy and flow from the tallest tree should be emulated in all the other trunks !
would you agree Question
regards Alex
alex e
alex e

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:21 pm

alex e wrote:
will baddeley wrote:I thought initially, that a reduction of all the apexes, would improve the overall image but the more I look at it, the more I like the taller elegance. With a few more years refining, its going to be stunning Very Happy

Hi Will in which case all the apex,s should at least be going in the same direction,
the energy and flow from the tallest tree should be emulated in all the other trunks !
would you agree Question
regards Alex
Yes I think your right Alex. Placing the leaders, so that they move away from each other and into future invisaged space and light. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Wilson Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:58 pm

I agree about the apexes, but I find it hard to really critique/design a tree from a 2D picture. I think John G's videos (and now Tony Ts) where you can see the trees in the round make it a lot easier to actually give a meaningful opinion about a tree.

I really like this raft though....2D or not.
Jay Wilson
Jay Wilson

Back to top Go down

Post  Erik Križovenský Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:42 pm

Hawthorn raft Virt-110
Erik Križovenský
Erik Križovenský

Back to top Go down

Hawthorn raft Empty Hawthorn raft

Post  alex e Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:20 pm

Hi Erik, mmm! almost!, not sure about the tallest being that
reduced No the taper gets lost making it look a bit sausage like,
still watching the Locra dvd ThumbsUp Very Happy

Alex
alex e
alex e

Back to top Go down

Hawthorn raft Empty John's reply

Post  Jeremy Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:04 pm

John, after reading the replies to the earlier post felt he needed to explain a little about the process he is undertaking with this raft.
He has allowed the apexes on the 2 smaller trunks to extend to achieve a better taper on each.
In the future he fully intends to reduce each to balance the 3 trunks, once he has what he planned.

The raft has a long history, dug by John 9 years ago and given to a friend, the raft was a little neglected over the last few years. So when John took over ownership a year ago, there was a lot of catching up and cutting back to do.

I feel the progress the raft has made in the last 12 months in John's hands is very good.
Hawthorn raft Dscf2814
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick Moquin Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:03 am

Jeremy,

Thanks for the explanation, it has indeed come a long way in John's capable hands. From the last picture it is obvious the tree might have been posted prematurely. We can see is the last pic that the tree (tallest) is now guy wired a little more upright. I know the guy wire is on the branch but it is also changing what appears to be the angle on the trunk which is fine.

The flow of this tree is entirely to the left. I have virted the last photo to indicate my thoughts. Therefore IMHO it is alright to Zig, but not Zag. Unless there is a plan to remove at a later date, but too much zigzag creates tension and distraction.

The large branch on the second tree will need to be removed at some point in time when budding occurs in the general area of the fat branch. It is nearly the same size as the one on the taller tree. IMO at some point it should have been carried out, but as you stated this tree was neglected for some time, and will need time to repair.

This tree has a very promising future. I like the drama of its majesty. Having said that it does have some flaws that need addressing before they turn into bigger problems IMO.

[img]Hawthorn raft Projec16[/img]
Rick Moquin
Rick Moquin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:38 pm

John....
over to you mate..... Twisted Evil
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down