Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fig suggestions, please

+4
EdMerc
jon hultgren
Jay Gaydosh
JimLewis
8 posters

Go down

Fig suggestions, please Empty Fig suggestions, please

Post  JimLewis Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:06 pm

I'm not happy with this tree -- for fairly obvious reasons. (Jackie made me buy it! Evil or Very Mad ).

Does anyone have any useful suggestions?

Of course it is inside being mostly ignored this time of year, so it has lost half of its leaves.

Front: Fig suggestions, please 1-10_a10

Back:

Fig suggestions, please 1-10_b10

I think that tiny little bottom branch on the left has to go. Other lower branches need to be pulled down????

It is about 7 inches tall (15 cm + -)
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Fig suggestions, please Empty Re: Fig suggestions, please

Post  Jay Gaydosh Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:20 pm

I like the view from the first photo best. I would do a little plucking from in front of the trunk and the area around the beginnings of the main branches, pinch the growth back like you would any other tree to promote ramification. As you suggested, I would loose tha small lower branching. As for the trunk, I wish I could get mine that thick, but thay aren't cooperating.

Nice start! ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  jon hultgren Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:33 pm

My first thought was to chop the top off right above the two main lower branches, use one as the new leader and the other as your first branch. You would have to change the planting angle some and it would take quite a bit of time but thats what I would do as I have lots of time.
jon hultgren
jon hultgren

Back to top Go down

Post  EdMerc Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:36 pm

I like the trunk although it could use better nebari around the back of it. Maybe doing a root graft or trying a partial airlayer to get roots there.

Aside from that, I think you hit right on it. Get rid of the small, first branch. Wire the rest down some. It think it will look very nice.

Ed
EdMerc
EdMerc

Back to top Go down

Post  pine queen Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:37 pm

It is a spoiled brat. Send it to someone who can grow some muscles on that frame, you know, fig camp.

Q

Fig suggestions, please 1-10_b10

pine queen

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:01 pm

Thanks, all. The rootage has aways been a problem. That's mostly the reason for the shari, to dig away a huge swollen root that marred the front of the tree; that scar was so bad, I had to move it up . . . and up . . . and up. I'll probably try a partial layer and if I get new roots, will simply remove that remaining ugly root in the back.

I guess while it's just sitting here doing nothing over the winter, I could wire the branches down. Thanks, Ed and PQ.

Jon, I'm not leaning toward decapitation at this point, but if it irritates me enough . . . (!) It's already been severely chopped once. I don't see this as a mame -- which it would be if I chopped.

Jay . . . this is a Florida tree, hence the fattish trunk.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Fig suggestions, please Empty fig suggestions

Post  moyogijohn Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:50 pm

Jim no mater what faults everyone sees i like the tree!!!would be happy to give it tlc.maybe wire the branches down some. my opion john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Wm Tom Davis Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:43 pm

Hey Jim,

If anything for now, I like the ideas of others to begin by trying to developing the nebari & rootage on right side where there's none. With these trees whose growth is so fast, developing the top can always take place later. I think this tree has wonderful potental.
(As a mendicant friar, and in case you'd like to "donate" it to someone, I'd gladly pay postage to have it sent here to the friary:)
What ever you decide, I wish you all the best with it.
Wm Tom Davis
Wm Tom Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  sitarbonsai Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:02 am

Hey, Jim
I recommend a new pot, and also that you try to encourage some new growth on the left branch.

Justin
sitarbonsai
sitarbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down