Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I want my mamey ?

2 posters

Go down

I want my mamey ? Empty I want my mamey ?

Post  bonsainotwar Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:30 pm

I know we have a lot of people here in tropical climates,but has anybody here ever tried a mamey?

I want my mamey ? 20192699

I can't keep my tropicals in the house,because there is no way I can keep my cats away from them,so they spend the winter in a garage wiith an electric heater.Like much of the US,it's been colder than usual this winter in New Mexico.For a few dayis in December,I had the power go out,and I had some cold damage to the foliage one each of my ficus,and oranges.I also lost a whole bunch of tropical seedlings like cherimoya,and durians,that I had a difficult time getting to germinate.

According to this it should have also killed the mamey I had come up.

Climate

The mamey is limited to tropical or near-tropical climates. In Central America, it thrives from near sea-level to 3,300 ft (1,000 m). Three trees at the Agricultural Research and Education Center, Homestead, in southern Florida, were killed by a temperature drop to 28º F (-2.22º C) in January 1940.

But it didn't even singe the leaves,even though for a couple days there was a dusting of frost on the soil.Obviously these guys are hardier than you'd think.My leaves are about half this size.

I want my mamey ? MameySapote2

so they may get even smaller.

bonsainotwar

Back to top Go down

I want my mamey ? Empty Re: I want my mamey ?

Post  sitarbonsai Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:26 pm

wow, so are those weird things you can pick off the tree are edible!?
I always wandered what those trees were and those weird potato-looking things were
so much I took one home and studied it and made cool carvings on it and preserved in my freezer Very Happy
sitarbonsai
sitarbonsai

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum