Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My new Terry Foster Oak

+2
bobby little
Harleyrider
6 posters

Go down

My new Terry Foster Oak Empty My new Terry Foster Oak

Post  Harleyrider Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:21 pm

Before we start, I apologise for the naff backgrounds in these pics. I couldn't access my usual spot due to the snow. That's my excuse anyway.
I'll sort some better ones out when the weather clears up a little.

Right, as promised, here are some quick snaps of my latest acquisition, a Terry Foster collected and semi-styled Oak with great potential. Did I mention it's an ex Terry Foster specimen?

Probable front (defined by Terry Foster, whilst it was in his collection Very Happy )
My new Terry Foster Oak 100_0910

Left side
My new Terry Foster Oak 100_0911

Right side
My new Terry Foster Oak 100_0912

I couldn't get a decent pic of the back of the tree, basically because when I tried to turn it round the pot was frozen to the chair it was stood on Embarassed . I tried to prise it loose but the chair seemed more likely to give way than the pot, and as the missus would lynch me if I broke her chair, I thought better of it. I'd just like to point out that after I'd taken the pics I used a little judicious warm water to release the pot!
Anyway, by way of compensation here's a detail pic of the big chop at the back of the tree. The tree's former owner (Terry Foster) intended to hollow it out quite substatially, and I'm going to follow suit, perhaps even taking it further?
My new Terry Foster Oak 100_0913

While I'm about it, here's a pic of one of the Hawthorn I collected on the recent trip up t'hill with Tony and Matt. I'll probably incur the wrath of Master Tickle for this but, hey, it happened when I was asleep, what can I say? Whaddya think guys, potential show winner?
My new Terry Foster Oak 100_0914

And here is my developing shohin collection
My new Terry Foster Oak 100_0915

I'll post some pics of the collecting trip just as soon as I've removed anything in them that may betray where we were! Bear with me though, I only have MS Paint and it's a bloody slow process. Matt and Terry have the pics from our post Christmas/pre New Year explorations, so you'll have to pester them for those.
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

My new Terry Foster Oak Empty Re: My new Terry Foster Oak

Post  bobby little Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:25 pm

lovely tree, crap taste in lager Very Happy
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:33 pm

That belongs to the wife. Or rather, belonged! I'm teetotal, so any lager-related jibes need to be addressed directly to her. And if you want to take her on, you're a braver man than me, Gungha Din.
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:52 pm

I think what you are refering to as the left side could also make a convincing front.

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:57 pm

Hhmm. I see where you're coming from, Seth. That long, low branch could certainly be used to good effect in that orientation.

Options, options.......
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsai monkey Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:45 pm

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice tree Steve Very Happy
Oh to live so far North it makes my ears bleed. Never mind, at least I've got the weather Rolling Eyes

I love your Shohin mate, they look almost as impresive as mine at the mo Laughing
Take it easy and hope to catch up soon,
Regards,
Simon
bonsai monkey
bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:04 pm

I was with Steve when he got this Oak from Terry.
This is NOT a great tree, it is OK material. Terry gave the tree to Steve coz Steve has the time, enthusiasm and interest to develop the tree into a reasonable bonsai... and Terry has amazing material that he wants to spend his time on.

Steve knows I am not here to rain on his Parade, this tree will require a LOT of work to make it a reasonable bonsai (remember the box we worked on)

All new branches, character created in the trunk, work on the nebari... all things that Steve can do over the years... a great tree to learn with.

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsai monkey Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:12 pm

Tony wrote:This is NOT a great tree, it is OK material.

Now you see Tony, this is where it get it all Pete Tong.
At first glance I thought "Wow" but I can now see the faults/shortcomings of this Oak. Don't get me wrong, it's still a tree that I would not say no to but I really need to hone my bon-dar to the diffence between OK & Great.

Thanks for the info Tony and Steve you've still got a cracker Wink
bonsai monkey
bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  NJF Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:52 pm

And I was thinking the Carling was a slow release fertilizer. You know, refreshing the parts other fertilizers can't reach. lol!

I like your tree Steve and can see potential. I actually think it's good compared to some of the material I've tried working with.

Good luck with it, keep us posted on the progress. thumbs up
NJF
NJF

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:49 pm

Just in case anyone thinks Tony is being a bit harsh there, can I just say that I accept and agree with the points he made.
I consider myself extremely fortunate to have Tony as my mentor/teacher/friend, and I know that everything he tells me comes from years of experience. Many, many years Very Happy

I'd just like to put my 'exhuberance' over this tree into context a little. Considering I've only been seriously studying bonsai for around a year, to suddenly find myself the custodian of an ex-Terry Foster tree has, I admit, got me a little giddy. I can now see the shortcomings of this material, but I can also see what I need to do to correct them. I realise that it's a long-term project, but with the start Terry has given me, and with the help and expert advice of Tony, I feel positive that I can turn this tree into something more than it is now. I hope you'll all enjoy taking part in the journey with me.

@ Tony. As always mate, duly noted. I'm looking forward to working on the tree with you. Get your dremmel ready! As for you raining on my parade, a little water never hurt anyone, eh! Besides, I've got a brolly.
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:58 pm

Really good Oaks are very hard to find. Most Oaks I've come across, have at some point, had a fairly major chop. With your enthusiasm and Tony's tutelage, I see a very good tree Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:07 am

Thanks Will.

I'm relishing the challenge! As for the chop, in my mind a good Oak has to be at least partially hollow. It's in the rules somewhere, I think. Terry had already decided to carve the chop out somewhat. I'm thinking of going a bit further than he was.

The next ten years or so are going to be very interesting !!
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:17 am

Sounds like an excellent idea to me Very Happy My favourite trees and bonsai, are those that have been ravaged by weather and time. Beautiful decline.
What's the diameter of the base?

Back to top Go down

Post  tom tynan Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:59 am

It would be interesting to hear more about your plans for this tree and some of the discussions with your teacher. The tree has already been chopped and it looks like this was located towards the back; plus you have some branches growing around the chop site helping to close the wound. The problem as I see it is that none of these were picked as the new leader and wired to create a new top, as well none of them were left to really grow long like 1 to 2 meters long to really thicken the new leader. The Pin Oaks that I have growing in my front yard [huge trees here in NY] always sucker around a freshly cut wound, esp. close to the trunk. It would seem even if you remove the current side branches - you should get new buds to break and these can be wired. It looks like it will be a larger size tree. Whatever new leader you choose to create the new apex - should be off center I think to create some movement towards the top of the tree. I also think it should go in a larger grow box or even back in the ground to really grow out the top. Good luck with your Oak....Tom

tom tynan

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:46 pm

Will, I'll get the tape on it later and let you know.

Tom, thanks for your comments and suggestions. Most welcome.
As for my plans for the tree, beyond the carving I confess I haven't really got any definate thoughts as yet. I'm hoping to take the tree to my teacher's soon to see what he thinks, and then take it from there. I agree that a bigger pot/box is a must. Terry (who gave me the tree) had already suggested this. Perhaps a few years back in the ground, as you say, is the way to go?

I'll post my plans as soon as I've finalised them.
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:42 pm

Right, I've been out and measured the tree. It's 18" from soil to the tip of the trunk, 6" trunk 2" above soil level, and the root spread varies between 8" and 12".
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down