Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

still growing

2 posters

Go down

still growing Empty still growing

Post  bobby little Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:12 pm

shortly to be the winter solstice and a chinese elm I popped into the ground to perk it up again on the advice of the good boffins on here is still vigorously growing. Will this cause mischief if it doesn't get it's head down over winter?
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

still growing Empty Re: still growing

Post  Kev Bailey Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:16 am

If it is hit by a sudden frost, which is likely looking at the forecasts, it will suffer a bit of tip dieback. This is usually just the softer parts of new growth. Parts that have lignified or turned stiff and changed colour will usually survive. If you are worried about it, throw some horticultural fleece or other insulation over it ovenight and remove once temp's climb above freezing. It will soon enough decide it is winter and stop growing. Mine only lose a tiny proportion of growth if they are hit by sudden frosts and all survive just fine.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby little Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:18 pm

I thank you.
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby little Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:46 am

it's still in full leaf and colour. Covered in frost. bizarre.
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:28 pm

I would'nt worry too much. Chinese Elms sometimes stay in leaf until the spring, when all the leaves drop off and are replaced by a fresh crop.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down