Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can you help me to identify this tree?

4 posters

Go down

Can you help me to identify this tree? Empty Can you help me to identify this tree?

Post  Hans85 Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:47 pm

I bought a tree/plant few days ago..
Because Christmas is coming, every shop is selling ofc. small "Christmas trees"... or something which looks like a Christmas tree... Very Happy
Whatever.. I saw one, and I had the feeling that it is some Cryptomeria.. I was not sure, but I bought it... maybe it's something else, but I still think that is some kind of Cryptomeria... hopefully Cryptomeria Japonica 'Yokohama' but maybe Cryptomeria Japonica Vilmoriana Idk.

I will upload some photos... could you help me to figure out if I'm right or wrong, and what is the correct kind of the tree?

Thanks a lot!

Can you help me to identify this tree? 1_copy10
Can you help me to identify this tree? 2_copy10
Can you help me to identify this tree? 6_copy10
Can you help me to identify this tree? 3_copy10
Can you help me to identify this tree? 4_copy10
Can you help me to identify this tree? 5_copy10
Hans85
Hans85

Back to top Go down

Can you help me to identify this tree? Empty Re: Can you help me to identify this tree?

Post  Annie120269 Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:49 am

Have you tried to identify it with Pantsnap? It's an app on Google Play.

Annie120269

Back to top Go down

Can you help me to identify this tree? Empty Re: Can you help me to identify this tree?

Post  Hans85 Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:49 pm

Will not work... I tried some apps, they have cheap algorithm, and can only tell you if it's maple or something with a specific leave shape...
For this plant it would say some pine ore spruce which is totally not correct...
Hans85
Hans85

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:50 pm

To me, it looks like a variety of Cryptomeria.
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans85 Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:55 pm

AlainK wrote:To me, it looks like a variety of Cryptomeria.

Yeah, I also have that feeling, I'm just not sure...
I bought it because I know that Cryptomeria is actually a quite good material for bonsais purposes ... I just don't know the exact kind... :/
Hans85
Hans85

Back to top Go down

Post  kite-eating bonsai tree Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:05 pm

Reminds me very much of Chamaecyparis thyoides ... please google some pics.  Iam attaching a photo of a Chamaecyparis thyoides ‘Ericoides’ (that I kept years ago), but not sure of the upload resolution quality.  Other cultivars include Red Star, Top Point & Little Jamie.  HTH.

Can you help me to identify this tree? C_thyo10

Last edited by kite-eating bonsai tree on Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add photo)
kite-eating bonsai tree
kite-eating bonsai tree

Skyfowler and Hans85 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans85 Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:16 pm

kite-eating bonsai tree wrote:Reminds me very much of Chamaecyparis thyoides ... please google some pics.  Iam attaching a photo of a Chamaecyparis thyoides ‘Ericoides’ (that I kept years ago), but not sure of the upload resolution quality.  Other cultivars include Red Star, Top Point & Little Jamie.  HTH.

Can you help me to identify this tree? C_thyo10

Wow, this is a nice help! I guess you are right! Thanks a lot!
I see that people try to use it as a bonsai as well, so it's not impossible ... I have to let it grow and survive the winter, and see what shape I can choose in spring... I will repot it for sure then and make some root pruning and shaping... let's see... Wink
Hans85
Hans85

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans85 Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:17 pm

I found some pictures on the Internet...

Can you help me to identify this tree? Ac963b10Can you help me to identify this tree? D7799810Can you help me to identify this tree? 0dc38210
Hans85
Hans85

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans85 Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:19 pm

[quote="kite-eating bonsai tree"]Reminds me very much of Chamaecyparis thyoides ... please google some pics.  Iam attaching a photo of a Chamaecyparis thyoides ‘Ericoides’ (that I kept years ago), but not sure of the upload resolution quality.  Other cultivars include Red Star, Top Point & Little Jamie.  HTH.

What happened with yours btw. ?
Hans85
Hans85

Back to top Go down

Post  kite-eating bonsai tree Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:30 pm

Sadly, mine dried out (Los Angeles is a poor grow zone, and I was aware of the challenge). I took some “reasonable” precautions: purchased the trees in winter (so they can adjust to the coming spring & summer; kept the trees on the east side of the house (morning sun only); misted often and rested the pots on the garden bed (plenty of residual evaporation). if i had the space, i would have constructed a cool greenhouse).

i did see one C. thyoides years later but one could tell they struggle in our climate.
kite-eating bonsai tree
kite-eating bonsai tree

Hans85 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans85 Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:38 pm

kite-eating bonsai tree wrote:Sadly, mine dried out (Los Angeles is a poor grow zone, and I was aware of the challenge).  I took some “reasonable” precautions:  purchased the trees in winter (so they can adjust to the coming spring & summer; kept the trees on the east side of the house (morning sun only); misted often and rested the pots on the garden bed (plenty of residual evaporation).  if i had the space, i would have constructed a cool greenhouse).

i did see one C. thyoides years later but one could tell they struggle in our climate.

Its sad, that you lost yours... :/

btw. I found other species, and it can be that mine is not the red star version but the Chamaecyparis thyoides Top Point or Chamaecyparis thyoides Excellent Point, Idk. there are many versions... and mine is not getting red/rusty on the canopy.. so hmmm it's hard to tell which type it is...
Hans85
Hans85

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down