Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winter is coming II

3 posters

Go down

Winter is coming II Empty Winter is coming II

Post  RyanSA Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:14 pm

Hi all. Thank you for the overwhelming replies on my previous message. I want to buy a blanky for my plants and would like to hear your opinion. Any particulars? Or will an ordinary blanket do?
RyanSA
RyanSA

Back to top Go down

Winter is coming II Empty Re: Winter is coming II

Post  BrendanR Tue May 14, 2019 11:36 am

Ryan I live in England but am from SA.

All my trees live outside, apart from a Vetplant.

This is because I have chosen trees that can cope with the climate here.

If you are in the E Cape bougainvillea will survive outside in the ground, but it loses its leaves and small growth to frost. I had bougies on the highveld, and saw this every winter. But they bounced back.

So you don't need anything fancy. First thing is to know that frost can be avoided just by moving pots under cover. Under a bench is usually enough to shield a tree from frost.

Also put the tree up against a north facing wall where it gets sun. Place it on the ground. That wall and the ground will absorb heat in the day which will keep the pot from freezing overnight.

If you think there is going to be a long period of below zero temps then you can either bury the pots in the ground or cover them with mulch etc. Any compost type matter will do.

But not sawdust unless you are sure the wood was untreated. Some of the preservatives in treated wood are likely to harm a potted tree.

But mostly start growing trees that you see doing well in the gardens and bush near you. Those will make your best bonsai.

BrendanR

Back to top Go down

Post  RyanSA Tue May 14, 2019 1:46 pm

Wow. One of the lucky ones! Things look dark here... broer.

Politics aside though. Awesome thanks.. Our scullery next to the house has a few shelves that are empty, I will move the young ones there. The evergreens will stay outside, as you say, it takes a bit of growth away, but then bounces back.

I read that pine needles make good mulch? The bit that disintegrates and drains will not make your soil acidic. Apparently there is a big misconception that it is bad for plants?

Thanks man..
RyanSA
RyanSA

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Tue May 14, 2019 5:07 pm

Always remember, in the ground is warmer than in a Bonsai pot.

So you shift one or two zones for a Bonsai pot or pot ------
example - zone 7 in the ground shifts to 2one 8 or 9 in a pot as
ability to withstand cold goes.

Often a thick mulch of leaves will keep the tree's roots warm during winter.

Look up the old books on Bonsai for more information.
Laters.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down