Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Potbound Carmona - should I chance repotting?

4 posters

Go down

Potbound Carmona - should I chance repotting? Empty Potbound Carmona - should I chance repotting?

Post  TKR99 Wed May 02, 2018 6:08 pm

I was given my 1st Carmona last Sept bought from a street greengrocer of all places so I was sort of pleasantly surprised to get a reasonable looking tree.  But as expected within days of getting it, leaves started falling at a fair rate so it went from having pushed out some reasonable growth in the first week after I got it to almost ending up completely leafless after 2 months or so.  But amazingly it held on and now has begun to push out some great new growth.

You can see the "progression" at Itsy-Bitsy Bonsai

So I'm wondering again what to do with it - is it foolish to throw more stress at it by way of doing any repotting or is it not going to make much difference as it might not survive a further year so pot bound, & so needs something done.  I've read these don't cope well with ANY root disturbance and esp pruning yet I'm unsure if it could go up a pot size maybe for a year to let the roots get more room to ease things somewhat.

Any suggestions welcome for this relative newbie Smile

TKR99

Back to top Go down

Potbound Carmona - should I chance repotting? Empty Re: Potbound Carmona - should I chance repotting?

Post  John Quinn Thu May 03, 2018 3:01 am

Link not working
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Potbound Carmona - should I chance repotting? Empty Re: Potbound Carmona - should I chance repotting?

Post  TKR99 Thu May 03, 2018 5:52 pm

Oops - apologies - somehow managed to put up a Preview link without making the post itself live - DUHHH!!   Fixed now Smile

Itsy-Bitsy Bonsai

TKR99

Back to top Go down

Post  MKBonsai Tue May 08, 2018 6:30 pm

I'd put it in a bigger pot without pruning any roots and leave it to see if the extra space helps it get better.

JT
MKBonsai
MKBonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  TKR99 Tue May 08, 2018 6:43 pm

Thanks so much - just the encouragement I needed. So this is a case where you need to pot up before you can scale back down? I gather these particular trees aren't the easiest to manage which makes me wonder how this one was being looked after before it hit the street seller as it was in better condition when I got it than it's been since yet I've done everything to try & minimize stress as far as I could for it.

Anyway - it'll do or die and at least it's the best time of year to tackle any changes.

Appreciated Smile

TKR99

Back to top Go down

Post  MKBonsai Wed May 09, 2018 9:21 am

I would try to gently tease out some of the roots if possible but would only remove dead roots.
MKBonsai
MKBonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed May 09, 2018 1:18 pm

In future if you could add in a plain background and shoot
'the image from front on and not top ish.

The soil shot shows well rooted. Correct ?

I suggest more light and just keep it looked after. It is a zone 9 in
the ground, probably zone 10 in a pot. Not tropical - rests from Christmas
until February.
No rest can kill it. So no fertiliser until it shows signs of growing.

The pot bound won't harm it, but repotting might.

Watch the watering.
Laters.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  TKR99 Wed May 09, 2018 2:48 pm

Ahh - plenty of info there to work with - yeh, apologies on some of the photos and yes, it's solidly rooted alright. It's been sold as an indoor bonsai here in the UK so that's where I've kept it. Trying to keep the humidity up isn't too difficult as I dry clothes near a radiator. Given that I've also had to shell out a few £K to fix a damp wall recently I don't think there's likely to be too many issues on that front.

I wasn't aware they had a rest period too but they're not decidious I presume? I'm just wondering if the leaf fall was thus maybe more a natural yearly thing over the shock of relocation although no doubt that was part of the problem.

Anyways - if being potbound isn't going to do any real damage then I'll maybe let it sit out this year and give it a chance to better acclimate to its surroundings perhaps. Would be keen to try and keep it alive now that it's started producing lots of new growth.

Thanks guys Smile

TKR99

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Thu May 10, 2018 11:43 am

Take cuttings when you can.
Learn on them not the mother.
Laters.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down