Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RIP REINER GOEBEL

5 posters

Go down

RIP REINER GOEBEL Empty RIP REINER GOEBEL

Post  cvbras Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:21 am

It is with a sad and heavy heart that The Toronto Bonsai Society shares the news of the passing of one of our beloved members Reiner Goebel.

Reiner died on January 26, 2018, after a short illness.
Reiner Goebel joined the Toronto Bonsai Society in 1981.  A general interest in gardening led him to reading many gardening books, one of which included a chapter on bonsai. The pictures of small trees in a minimum of soil fascinated him and he decided to give it a try. In those days, books on bonsai were rare. A visit to the bookstore at the Toronto Botanical Garden turned up a copy of John Naka’s ‘Bonsai’, in those days not yet known as ‘Bonsai I’.
The 1997 International Bonsai Convention organized by TBS members was a great success. It featured ten demonstrators: six from abroad and four recruited from the TBS membership. The workshop and demo material consisted of collected material only. It attracted attendees not only from Canada, but also the US, Europe and New Zealand, over 300 in all. John Naka and his wife were invited to attend as Guests of Honour.

In time, Reiner was asked to lecture on bonsai himself, often together with John Biel, both at the TBS and in Australia, New Zealand, Germany, England and the US. His favourite demonstrations included slide presentations with photographs he took while working on his trees, showing their development over many years, something that is difficult to convey in a one-hour demonstration. Deciduous trees, and especially Japanese maples and American larch, were Reiner’s favoured species, but his collection also included numerous pines, junipers, cedars and other odds and ends.

He will be missed.

cvbras

Back to top Go down

RIP REINER GOEBEL Empty Re: RIP REINER GOEBEL

Post  Kev Bailey Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:56 pm

Reiner was one of the early stalwarts. He will be sadly missed by all who knew him. The very sincere condolences of the IBC are offered from us to all of his loved ones.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:25 pm

Kev Bailey wrote:The very sincere condolences of the IBC are offered from us to all of his loved ones.
Uniting my condolences, may his soul finds peace.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:34 am

Sad news...I had the pleasure of meeting him in person.
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Marty Weiser Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:46 am

Condolences to his loved ones and the TBS. I fondly remember one of his and John's visits to our club - can't remember if it was in Spokane or Albuquerque - it was quite a while ago.

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down