Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Sango Kaku" Japanese maple airlayer project

4 posters

Go down

"Sango Kaku" Japanese maple airlayer project Empty "Sango Kaku" Japanese maple airlayer project

Post  kohaku Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:15 pm

This airlayer was a part of a Sango Kaku jap. maple that was planted 25 years ago in my garden.
After the separation last year...it's the first spring on his one root system. The roots have spread very nice arround the trunk and will be great in a few years.
It's abouth 75cm tall at the moment.....needs some time....but will be nice in a year or 5.
All comment are w"Sango Kaku" Japanese maple airlayer project 20150411
"Sango Kaku" Japanese maple airlayer project 20150412
"Sango Kaku" Japanese maple airlayer project 20150410
"Sango Kaku" Japanese maple airlayer project Dscf2714
elcome.

kohaku

Back to top Go down

"Sango Kaku" Japanese maple airlayer project Empty LookingGood.

Post  jungle Jas Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:48 pm

Looking good, you have given me the inspiration to try the same on mine. Did you strip the bark all he way around, or did you leave a small slither of bark? cheers

jungle Jas

Back to top Go down

"Sango Kaku" Japanese maple airlayer project Empty Re: "Sango Kaku" Japanese maple airlayer project

Post  AlainK Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:49 pm

Very neatly done, congratulations.

The pb with Sango Kaku is that it has relatively big leaves, but yours look great so far.

Well done ThumbsUp
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

"Sango Kaku" Japanese maple airlayer project Empty Re: "Sango Kaku" Japanese maple airlayer project

Post  John Quinn Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:54 pm

Looking good.
Jungla jas, I have air layered Sango kaku (Coral Bark) maple in the past using a complete ring, rooting hormone and sphagnum moss.. Give it a try!
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  kohaku Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:13 am

The leaves from the Sango Kaku are in my opinion not bigger than a normal a. palmatum. Altough there's sometimes a little difference in several plants.
When doing an airlayer on the jap. maples i always cut a complete ring arround the trunk. Best results i had were always with a very deep cutted ring and abouth 2 times the hight of the trunk diameter. I always use hormon powder and sphagnum mos. I always bind the mos tight so there's some pressure and a tight structure.
Start the layer early in spring and normal you can separate in late summer.

succes

kohaku

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down