Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with this Acer palmatum

4 posters

Go down

Help with this Acer palmatum Empty Help with this Acer palmatum

Post  Hagen Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:52 pm

Hello, I'm new to the world of bonsai and I got my first Acer palmatum in May 2016. And since I live in Latvia the weather has got a lot colder and I was keeping the tree on my windowsill and I'm guessing it got some wind from the nearby open window overnight and started shedding It's leave untill they were all gone. I water it daily or whenever I notice the soil getting dry, and feed it
(K2O) – 5%
(P2O5) – 5%
(N) – 6%
fertiliser meant for bonsai called Agrecol Bonsai fertilizer mineral gel
Micronutrients:
Boronon (B) 0,02 %,
Copper (Cu)* 0,002%,
Iron (Fe)* 0,02%,
Manganeseese (Mn)* 0,015%,
Molybdenum (Mo) 0,002%,
Zinc (Zn)* 0,015%
Here are some pictures of it now, the last of the leaves shed about a month ago and small leaf sprouts have developed, but are not growing much.
My question is: Is the tree still alive, will it survive and what should I do?
Help with this Acer palmatum Vd8lFxh
Help with this Acer palmatum Drtcs1N

Hagen

Back to top Go down

Help with this Acer palmatum Empty Re: Help with this Acer palmatum

Post  Kev Bailey Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:41 pm

It is winter now. Maples are deciduous and are supposed to be bare until spring. It doesn't need feed until next year. Just water occasionally and it should be fine.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeffery Paul Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:28 am

[quote="Hagen"]
My question is: Is the tree still alive, will it survive and what should I do? /[quote="Hagen"]

wait search wintering bonsai, wait and keep your fingers crossed, winter sucks....

Jeffery Paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:17 pm

it needs to go dormant over winter and that means not on the window sill, but rather in a sheltered space outside, like a garage or shed or something to protect from drying winds... you could take the entire pot and place it in something larger with a bunch of mulch for extra protection... and then just a sip of water now and then, or a shovel full of snow on top to gradually melt when the temp is above freezing... also do not feed when the tree is dormant...

when we are sleeping, we do not like to be woken up to eat Wink

resume feeding AFTER the leaves have hardened off in the spring (it will use all of its stored energy from the fall to accomplish leafing out)
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down