Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is the IBC dying ?

+22
Leo Schordje
coh
David Brunner
Dave Leppo
fiona
leatherback
JudyB
jun
John Quinn
abedini
Kev Bailey
my nellie
AlainK
Richard S
BobbyLane
Vance Wood
Vlad
M. Frary
Marty Weiser
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Bolero
Khaimraj Seepersad
26 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Is the IBC dying ? - Page 4 Empty Re: Is the IBC dying ?

Post  Richard S Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:54 pm

Kevin

You may find that your mistake was not in becoming a moderator but in letting it be known!

It seems that you are being tested.

WinkWinkWinkWinkWink

Regards

Richard
Richard S
Richard S

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:41 pm

I can't make sense of displaying guns in such a thread as this, but hopefully I am on-topic with a comment: I have noticed new comers asking advice on this forum and being met with indifference or even rudeness. It seems as if they are a burden because of their lack of knowledge/skill, rather than a treasure for their fresh enthusiasm. It didn't happen every time, but it was there and it had a chilling effect on me. Is that why I don't see so many people asking questions of the group? Is that why there don't seem to be so many 'newbies' showing their trees and asking for help? Draw your own conclusion, I have drawn mine. It seems stale around here, and that makes sense, b/c any group that doesn't value and nurture its young gets weaker.
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:56 pm

Hmm David,

when I first came on-line the advice given to me was -

[1] Before talking on a forum. spend time reading at the archives and take hand written notes.
Did this so deeply on a Jewellery forum, I left the forum after months of archive reading, all the information was
there in the early years.

[2] Be willing to take cuttings and experiment.

[3] Read books on the subject. Take notes.

I am not sure folk like being treated like an encyclopaedia.

Lucky that I could grow Healthy plants before the Internet, and even luckier that I did Fine Art as a career.
So I [ hopefully ] did not make a pest of myself, when IBC was a written list.

Normally I run from IBC after Christmas as the barrage of Mallsai gifts start to come
in with cries of help.
One or two or three bonsai will normally be loved to death.
Laters.
Khaimraj

Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Bruce Winter Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:56 am

Precarious wrote:I can't make sense of displaying guns in such a thread as this, but hopefully I am on-topic with a comment:  I have noticed new comers asking advice on this forum and being met with indifference or even rudeness.  It seems as if they are a burden because of their lack of knowledge/skill, rather than a treasure for their fresh enthusiasm.  It didn't happen every time, but it was there and it had a chilling effect on me.  Is that why I don't see so many people asking questions of the group?  Is that why there don't seem to be so many 'newbies' showing their trees and asking for help?  Draw your own conclusion, I have drawn mine.  It seems stale around here, and that makes sense, b/c any group that doesn't value and nurture its young gets weaker.

Well spoken, David. Salud!

Bruce Winter

Back to top Go down

Is the IBC dying ? - Page 4 Empty WARNING OFF TOPIC RRSPONSE....

Post  Bolero Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:16 am

AlainK said:
I don't give a shit about your WASP culture display, but by posting that, you are showing everyone that you are a paranoid, dangerous trigger-happy American (Amerikan, USonian - although to me "USonians" are friendly people, but someone displaying a deadly weapon are not).

AlainK, no gun maniac here I essentially shoot Olympic Small Bore as many of your Countrymen do.....

Its just another hobby as I stated, fishing to see if any other Hobby Shooters were on this site, I guess not.....

Anyway you should visit Normandy and the Memorial Gravesites to honor those American Gun Culture guys that gave their lives to Free the French from their Nazi occupation in World War II...

I am not doing any name calling here however you may be the one that needs pitying for your total lack of comprehension regards Guns and their World Wide Sport activity, including Olympic Sporting.

BTW I am a Regular poster here on IBC with 99% Bonsai/Penjing/Tray Landscape postings...

Sorry Kevin for being so far Off Topic but I couldn't let the AlainK remarks go without a response....
Bolero
Bolero

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:21 pm

AlainK wrote:
Bolero wrote:
One of my other Hobbies...22LR Handguns, Top is a Ruger 22/45 Lite, Bottom is a Browning Buck Mark Lite URX

Hi,

Aren't there any other forums for gun maniacs?

OK, you've got a big one, probably think that no other has such a big one.

Although you're a potential murderer, I don't think that the moderators should suppress your post: it's totally off topic, a trick often used by right/left wing activists.

I don't give a shit about your WASP culture display, but by posting that, you are showing everyone that you are a paranoid, dangerous trigger-happy American (Amerikan, USonian - although to me "USonians" are friendly people, but someone displaying a deadly weapon are not).

That's probably what you wanted to claim, but I much prefer to talk bonsai, and when I get off the tracks, I much prefer to show what makes me welcome strangers.

A different culture.

I pity you...

alain - i am going to say this publicly rather than as a pm... that was an unwarranted and extremely harsh reply. BUT to be clear, i too was taken aback at the sight of a gun on this forum... HOWEVER it elicited no additional posts about guns, and yours was the only acknowledgment of the photo...

as this was posted under contemplations, and as others have mentioned their other interests (which in itself would make an interesting topic), i see no reason to think that the picture of a weapon in such a context should elicit such a vitriolic response as yours.

there are many MANY gun owners who would never dream of aiming their weapon at another living creature, much less a human being....
so please keep that in mind.

i know we are from different cultures, but there needs to be understanding rather than baseless accusations.
and your response was frankly far more offensive that the photo of the gun.

so folks, please lets not create anything more out of what was an innocuous post about someones interests outside of bonsai.

if it goes beyond this, i can safely assume that the evil moderators will raise their heads and smite all offenders Wink Wink Wink

and for the record, i am anti-NRA but i believe in the right to own a reasonable gun (not military grade or rapid fire) for responsible individuals...

Last edited by kevin stoeveken on Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:23 pm

and bolero... we appreciate your reasonable and measured response. Cool

and richard: Wink
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Is the IBC dying ? - Page 4 Empty Picture Removable...

Post  Bolero Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:09 pm

Thanks Kevin for your Response to my Posting, also... I have removed the Gun picture from the post, I do not want to offend any others and I now believe it was inappropriate for this Forum...
Bolero
Bolero

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:45 pm

guns sometimes elicit knee-jerk reactions...
but so does religion, politics, sex, drugs, the economy, music, art, manatees, etc etc etc

Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Is the IBC dying ? - Page 4 Empty Good to know...

Post  Bolero Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:16 pm

kevin stoeveken wrote:guns sometimes elicit knee-jerk reactions...
but so does religion, politics, sex, drugs, the economy, music, art, manatees, etc etc etc

This is good to know because I was thinking  about posting some pictures of several Manatees I saw in Florida on a Bonsai trip...
Also,,,,,,thinking about posting some Info and Pic's of the Dahli Lama, one of my Hero's, I practice Zen and he is very close to being a Zen and is a Bonsai aficionado

I hope they don't offend anyone...

And staying on Topic I sure hope the IBC is not dying, I need it in my Daily Life and Wanderings...
Bolero
Bolero

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:46 pm

well, i am glad we nipped the manatee thing in the bud before it became the next great debacle !!!
(i too will be visiting florida at the end of the month and plan on seeing both manatees while paddleboarding and bonsai at wigerts !)

IBC dying ???

i dont think so... ThumbsUp
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:37 am

Are we allowed to say 'Shit now?cheers    Alain said 'shit'.

Wonderful!, time for free IBC and free expression....

Flip!, ......no that still doesn't work .   Flip doesn't do it for me.

to much control still........

P.S  If  IBC change to a YourTwatFace page or Insegram, then I will be flipped,  (see, makes no sense) Suspect

for I don't have Facebook or a mobile phone!

hi hi

Love and Light
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:12 am

OK, I shouldn't have been so rude, or I should have sent a private message instead.

My apologies to those who felt offended, but I still think that this is not a place to advertise weapons. It's not the same kind of hobby as collecting stamps or cycling. A friend of mine is responsible for a shooting-range facility in my town, he never posts about weapons on a bonsai forum.

End of conversation. Let's get back to bonsai.
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:16 am

M. Frary wrote:   This thread should be locked down now before it gets out of hand!

Ditto.
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:30 am

AlainK wrote:
M. Frary wrote:   This thread should be locked down now before it gets out of hand!

Ditto.
You do know I was only joking right.
This is a lively thread right now.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:39 am

Where else will I go to tell people about my Manatee hunt.
I'm heading down to Florida in a van with a Make America Great Again sticker on the bumper, tossing garbage out the window,smoking fatties and praying to the devil the whole way. It's has a vicious stereo that blares heavy metal and has murals of naked women painted on the side.
The gun rack holds 3 assault rifles and I also hang a couple handguns from the mirrors.
When I get back I'm going to have a suit made from that manatee skin trimmed in baby seal fur.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:56 am

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:04 pm

M. Frary wrote:  When I get back I'm going to have a suit made from that manatee skin trimmed in baby seal fur.

I think I might even consider paying to see you in that. Maybe the active moderators could consider a Members in Bizarre Outfits Gallery section? Although they'd need to be clear with their definition of "Members"
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Is the IBC dying ? - Page 4 Empty Outstanding...

Post  Bolero Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:49 pm

M. Frary wrote:  Where else will I go to tell people about my Manatee hunt.
I'm heading down to Florida in a van with a Make America Great Again sticker on the bumper, tossing garbage out the window,smoking fatties and praying to the devil the whole way. It's has a vicious stereo that blares heavy metal and has murals of naked women painted on the side.
The gun rack holds 3 assault rifles and I also hang a couple handguns from the mirrors.
When I get back I'm going to have a suit made from that manatee skin trimmed in baby seal fur.

Mike you're my kinda guy...have a good time on your Florida/Manatee trip, I wish you well...

Maybe we will run into each other down there...
Bolero
Bolero

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:06 pm

fiona wrote:
M. Frary wrote:  When I get back I'm going to have a suit made from that manatee skin trimmed in baby seal fur.

I think I might even consider paying to see you in that.  Maybe the active moderators could consider a Members in Bizarre Outfits Gallery section? Although they'd need to be clear with their definition of "Members"

now THAT was funny !!!

fiona wrote:Although they'd need to be clear with their definition of "Members"

finoa - you've still got it ! lol!
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:07 pm

M. Frary wrote:  Where else will I go to tell people about my Manatee hunt.

dang... i would rather road trip it than fly !!!
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:53 pm

AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:24 pm

fiona wrote:

I think I might even consider paying to see you in that.  Maybe the active moderators could consider a Members in Bizarre Outfits Gallery section? Although they'd need to be clear with their definition of "Members"
With a manatee suit on I would look just like one.
I'm also built like a marine mammal.
Of course I wouldn't ever think of killing such a beautiful creature.
It may be one of my long lost relatives!

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  bilbo Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:30 pm

John Quinn wrote:There already is one with 7485 members... Cool

https://www.facebook.com/groups/195463189147/
Hopefully, this group is kinder, gentler, less rude group than of the others with rather brutish cliques

bilbo

Back to top Go down

Post  bilbo Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:48 pm

David Brunner wrote:HI all!  

As you are well aware I do not post often, but I do read often.  I generally confine myself to commenting on things about which I actually know something.  The life or death of IBC is not one of those so this is a bit of a risk…

The question posed was “Is IBC dying” but I think that presupposes a number of other questions (some of which have been previously stated in this thread):

1) Is the decline in IBC participation due to its nonconformance with posting norms on other fora?

Perhaps.  But these other fora exist.  Participation here and there is purely elective.  In an open environment users will go where they perceive their reward for participation is of the most value for their effort.

2) Is the decline in IBC participation due to heavy-handed censorship by moderators?

Perhaps.  But why?  (I must first inform that I was asked to become a “moderator” on IBC some years ago.)  Isn’t having a moderated public debate to insure civility and logic a long-standing tradition in discourse?  I realize that the role of moderator in public discourse has come under assault of late in various venues and has been compared to “censor” or “influencer.”  But moderation of public debate with the intent of maintaining civility without influencing content is I think the best way to pass on reliable and openly tested information to others.  

3) Is the decline in IBC participation due to the absence of postings by some or many bonsai “stars”?

Perhaps.  But such things are bound to happen.  “Stars” due what “stars” must do to retain “stardom”.  IBC has never really been a “star vehicle”.  Certainly, some very talented artists have been (and some gratefully continue to be) frequent posters to IBC and as such the extent of their talent has become more well known.  But it is my view that some “out-grew” IBC and hence stopped posting.  It is also my view that that is fine.  As I stated previously, participation is elective.

4) If IBC does at present have fewer regular participants than other bonsai fora should it somehow change itself to compete?

Hmm?  I don’t think the central question is about competition with other fora or for the number of users, it is about utility.  Does IBC fill a need and if so how can it best do so, bearing in mind that IBC is a collective and does not (should not) rely on any individual.  I for one think that no real change is necessary.  I do not say that because I want to maintain the site as it is.  Look at my posting history, this is not a significant part of my life.  I say this because as a long-time reader of IBC I have found it to be the single most reliable source of information regarding the cultivation of small trees and tree-like plants in pots on the internet!  If one wants posting traffic regarding a comment they posted, IBC may not be the best venue.  If one wants affirmations regarding bonsai progress or prowess, IBC may not be also the best venue.  But if one wants well-reasoned and drama-free responses to reasonable questions about the cultivation of trees and tree-like plants in pots, then for my money I would go to IBC!

Yours,
David B.
I wish there was a "Like" button for your post.

bilbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next