Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A purple leaf crab apple

5 posters

Go down

A purple leaf crab apple Empty A purple leaf crab apple

Post  Vlad Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:03 am

I like the deciduous trees for their constant changes of appearance throughout the whole year.   Maybe they do not have the same dignity and calm that is characteristic for the old specimen of the pines or the wild, dynamic beauty of junipers or yews.    Their beauty consists in the joy they bring to our lives - kisses under the cherry blossom, apple pie, plum brandy - just to name a few...

On the top of the list of the deciduous trees is the purple leaf crab apple for me.  And here it is why:

The purple of the new growth

A purple leaf crab apple New_le10

The beauty of the flowers

A purple leaf crab apple Kvt10

The shot of fruits will come next year Rolling Eyes

The autumn colours

A purple leaf crab apple Colour10

The shots above are related to this pre-bonsai.  July 2016, new growth, before wiring.   Current height excluding the sacrifice top branch 19 cm  +/-

A purple leaf crab apple Front11

The yamadori in 2013

A purple leaf crab apple 03710
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

A purple leaf crab apple Empty Re: A purple leaf crab apple

Post  BobbyLane Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:01 am

I too, love deciduous all through the year, in leaf, without leaf, in autumn....ive never seen a purple crab before, its progressing well and nice colours Cool
BobbyLane
BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:43 pm

Very nice little tree!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

A purple leaf crab apple Empty Autumn colors? No chance yet. The little Malus follows its own calendar...

Post  Vlad Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:19 am

End of October:
Regadless of what the other trees are busy with this small apple tree is still focused to finish its growth.  

A purple leaf crab apple Front10

First half of November:
Few nights with a temp drop close to -7°C  (19°F ).  I have expected that the leaves will be frozen...No way. They are there and "seemingly still working"

A purple leaf crab apple Top_vi10

Current height: 23 cm.  The leaves are far too big,  but I guess that this will be solved within the next few years and a pair of sharp scissors.   Happy to see the small branchlet  down on the right.
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  LanceMac10 Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:53 am

I have one as well......

A purple leaf crab apple Dsc00910

A purple leaf crab apple Dsc01010

A purple leaf crab apple Dsc01011

A purple leaf crab apple Dsc01012

A purple leaf crab apple Dsc01013

A purple leaf crab apple Dsc01014

A purple leaf crab apple Dsc01113

Your malus is quite the looker, much more interesting than my own!!!

LanceMac10
LanceMac10

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:09 pm

Nice surprise Lance. I have not seen many of them as a bonsai. The new growth has amazing colour... Very nice tree.
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:24 am

Nice colors!!!

@ LanceMac10 : May I ask which is the scientific name of the red leaf crab apple?

@ Vladimir : How would you rate the strength of the wood of apple trees? There is a feeling that it is not long lasting...
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:02 pm

Hi Alexandra, good to hear from you.  In terms of wood hardness it is close to a cherry, a pear tree or even to an oak or a hornbeam.  You are right about the resistance of its deadwood to rot.  
A rot could be a problem for any part under the soil level but that applies for most other species anyway.  I use an acrylic resins - ( solakryl or paraloid )  to protect these under soil areas.   The deadwood above the soil level - the rot is less problematic there - I use a treatment with lime sulphur or a natural pine resin solution in etanol.    

As far as this small Malus is concerned - I think that a significant section of the current deadwood may be converted into an uro.   Or better to say I will be forced by the rot to do it.   But then I am sure the tree will stay around for good dozens of years.

Btw. wood resistance - it is quite interesting topic.  The wood of a true yamadori ( a tree collected from areas where it has only a very limited growth )   has significantly harder wood and will be more resilient then a typical garden tree or a tree produced from a seed  of the same species with ample supply of nutrients and water.  I also believe that the resistance to rot of such trees is much higher.

Last edited by Vlad on Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:01 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : update)
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy_Davis Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:26 pm

my nellie wrote:Nice colors!!!

@ LanceMac10 : May I ask which is the scientific name of the red leaf crab apple?

Nellie,

This crabapple is a hybrid and as such it's botanical name is Malus x purpurea

Randy
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:14 pm

Hi, Vladimir!
Thank you for your detailed answer.

Randy, thank you too!
my nellie