Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kuzuya, Japanese Thatched Huts Accesories

+3
dick benbow
AlainK
Robert J. Baran
7 posters

Go down

Kuzuya, Japanese Thatched Huts Accesories Empty Kuzuya, Japanese Thatched Huts Accesories

Post  Robert J. Baran Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:10 pm

I received an inquiry yesterday from an individual about "'Japanese thatched huts' (Kuzuya) that were (are?) used as both bonsai accessories and additionally, the larger ones, for incense burners."  He had searched in vain for info and I haven't found anything either.  Does anyone know anything about these who can help us?  Thanks.
Robert J. Baran
Robert J. Baran

Back to top Go down

Kuzuya, Japanese Thatched Huts Accesories Empty Re: Kuzuya, Japanese Thatched Huts Accesories

Post  AlainK Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:44 pm

No, sorry, I can't help: I bin all comercials if ever they arrive in my mailbox.

So far, I don't think I've missed more than superfluous hooks...

AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Kuzuya, Japanese Thatched Huts Accesories Empty Re: Kuzuya, Japanese Thatched Huts Accesories

Post  dick benbow Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:10 am

I see a lot of them used in photos from a UK author's book on tokonoma display. I've looked here in the states but have had no luck finding them either. Best I was able to do was find my own hut stone suiseki. Hopefully someone in europe might have some direction for us....very useful in fall and winter displays Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Gentleman Jack Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:56 am

I wonder how hard they would be to make. My little 7 year old granddaughter comes home with some pretty impressive clay figures she made, so a grown up could, presumably, do much better. They just bake them at a low temp for half an hour. Oh well, maybe I'm being silly.

Gentleman Jack

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:05 pm

Hmmmm....That's a thought. I have a pretty good pot maker in the club, might talk to him and see if it's something he'd consider. That book from the UK has plenty of pictures for him to go by.You might be on to something...Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter E. Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:46 pm

Dick,
the person you are thinking off is Paul Goff of Bonsai Presentations.
Unfortunatly, he died a couple of years ago but his partner is still selling the remaining stock of scrolls and accessories.
You could try looking on-line for them.

Peter.

Peter E.

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:03 pm

thank-you peter...Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Kakejiku Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:11 am

Robert J. Baran wrote:I received an inquiry yesterday from an individual about "'Japanese thatched huts' (Kuzuya) that were (are?) used as both bonsai accessories and additionally, the larger ones, for incense burners."  He had searched in vain for info and I haven't found anything either.  Does anyone know anything about these who can help us?  Thanks.

I do not know if you are looking for information where to purchase these types of items or if you just want information on how to use them. This is an excerpt on the use of a Kuzuya suiseki. Notice how the informal stone matches with the informal Sanyasou (Susuki)...

Kuzuya, Japanese Thatched Huts Accesories Susuki10

Bonsai hobbyists celebrate the season before it arrives, and we display with the feeling of anticipation which brings great joy. In this display it is now summer in real time, but the display says to us the beginning of winter will soon arrive.
Wouldn’t the most indelible Autumn ideal be a grass planting of Susuki? Last year was a very late start to the fall season and this display is a memorial to that. The susuki is in a Yose Ue style paired with a scroll painting of a shrike and a thatch house stone hut on top of the tana toko.
There are other scenes that can pair with a a susuki such as a moon, wild geese or quail. Using these elements for the scene would evoke an image of loneliness in the late fall suddenly turning to winter. It would not be bad to use a a moon with geese or a quail, but it would be like using slang within the toko no ma, and would not properly convey the story. In order to get a a real taste for the scene and feel the solitude and loneliness the scene provides. Using the other more common themes and equipment can not convey this sense of Kojaku.
The fundamental rule in display is the concept of Formal/Semi-Formal/Informal. It does not only apply to the “things” in a display, but also to the overall “story” and the setting of the display. I think one can feel a deep sense of the formal culture in the display, even though many of the elements are “informal”. We also get a sense of the formality of the person by the “things” they use and the bonsai that they own. The withered blades in the susuki and the bare branch in the painting with the shrike along with the traditional thatch roof stone accent gives the feel of not only harmony, but the feeling of loneliness that occurs from the transition from Autumn to Winter in an informal setup.
Various people have different likes and dislikes as well as ways of thinking. In display as well, people will like or dislike different arrangements. When I display, not only do I want to feel joy, but have others feel joy as well. That can be a difficult task when doing it in my own style or trying a different manner of display. I think we tend to seek to set a display with a high value placed on using our own emotions.
Kakejiku
Kakejiku

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:38 pm

Was a nice surprise to awaken and amble down to the computer to find your post...I always appreciate it when you post an explaination along with a photo. Tho in all honesty, my eyes aren't what they used to be 20 years ago, so close ups of the objects are always helpful.
I never really thought about having a mentalty of having something uplifing each time for display. that was interesting. I remember when you first started posting on display and i was hungry for some education, and got frustrated with your use of japanese terms...Smile Now I use the opportunity to continue to be chalelnged to learn what they mean and am grateful for the challenge. What helped to change the way I looked at things was a program on being an apprentice sushi chef, were it showed the subject washing dishes cleaning up etc....and 6 months later told he was now ready to prepare the first suishi meal. When the flabbergasted trainee
suggested he had no training to assume the position, just demeaning clean up, he was asked by the master what he had been observing the last six month to see what was going on around him. Made a lasting impression. I see the ame senerio with volunteers at the bonsai museum, who want to learn to be taught wiring. But only given a pair of wire cutters to take off the master's work, now biting in. LOL the power of observation as opposed to educaton on a silver plate. Smile

I know it takes time to prepare such educational opportunities but my hope is to see more of your posts.
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  DougB Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:12 pm

Check out Dallas Bonsai.
DougB
DougB

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down