Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tree Identification

+3
geo
Dave Leppo
Gentleman Jack
7 posters

Go down

tree Identification Empty tree Identification

Post  Gentleman Jack Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:35 pm

This is a juniper that was growing against one of my out buildings. every year the deer would literally strip it od foliage and it always popped right back in the spring. I finally decided I'd see if I could bonsai it. I do not know what variety of juniper it is. Can anyone identify?tree Identification 004_zpsmyhkspfotree Identification 005_zpsvysptzuttree Identification 005_zpsvysptzut

Gentleman Jack

Back to top Go down

tree Identification Empty Re: tree Identification

Post  Dave Leppo Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:22 pm

Does or has the foliage always looked like this (needley), or has it had foliage that looks different; more like arborvitae? If needley only it looks like Juniperus chinensis 'Blue Point'; just a guess. I have one in my collection and it has survived a few years in a grow box, so I think it's usable.

Dave Leppo

Back to top Go down

Post  Gentleman Jack Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:33 pm

The foliage always looks like that, Dave, and does have a bluish cast. I think you may have got it. Thanks!

Gentleman Jack

Back to top Go down

Post  geo Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:32 am

The foliage you show, in that very blurry pic, is known in the parlance as 'juvenile'.Junipers show this if young or pruned.J.communis shows this all the time.I can't remember if you mentioned how long you have had it or what you have done.
Oh yes,just took the trouble to look back at your post.Deer would be sufficient to keep the foliage juvenile.By the way,I live in the tropics and cannot grow Juniperus.Lucky you!
geo
geo

Back to top Go down

Post  Gentleman Jack Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:10 am

Thanks, Geo. I knew it was a juniper, just unsure of what variant it was, and I think Dave Leppo may have nailed it. While I can grow junipers easily here, you can grow many tropical species I would have problems doing.

Gentleman Jack

Back to top Go down

Post  Orlando0341 Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:57 pm

Looks like a Juniperus squamata.

cheers
Orlando0341
Orlando0341

Back to top Go down

Post  Gentleman Jack Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:14 pm

Thanks Orlando, I do believe you are correct. Juniperous Squamata Blue Star.

Gentleman Jack

Back to top Go down

Post  Orlando0341 Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:45 pm

They are very common over here, and they take a lot of abuse. I nearly killed my tree a couple of times, but it allways survived.

cheers
Orlando0341
Orlando0341

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:43 am

Foemina!

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Gentleman Jack Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:12 am

M. Frary wrote: Foemina!
Thank you.

Gentleman Jack

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric F Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:03 am

In case you havnt figured it out yet, foemina is the standard answer for any unknown species. Kind of a joke that seems to never get old for some. I think youve been hazed enough. Its not personal, every newb with a species question will get foemina for an answer. Some dont even look at the tree! As for the right name, Im sorry but I cant help. But I hope I cleared that up for you, as someone did for me not too long ago.. Dont let'em get you down! Good luck, have fun.
Eric F
Eric F

Back to top Go down

Post  Gentleman Jack Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:58 am

Eric F
In case you havnt figured it out yet, foemina is the standard answer for any unknown species. Kind of a joke that seems to never get old for some. I think youve been hazed enough. Its not personal, every newb with a species question will get foemina for an answer. Some dont even look at the tree! As for the right name, Im sorry but I cant help. But I hope I cleared that up for you, as someone did for me not too long ago.. Dont let'em get you down! Good luck, have fun.
But...but...yuse guys! Embarassed Cool

Gentleman Jack

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:50 am

Hey, these are closer to foemina than most!
But yeah. Sad to say they're arent. Maybe someday.
I'd go with Zach Smith on the other one, G.Jack he collects lots and knows his trees.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Swiech Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:15 pm

I think it is Juniperus squamata meyeri, Meyer singleseed juniper.
Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down