Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eleven Year Report on a Chinese Elm.

3 posters

Go down

Eleven Year Report on a Chinese Elm. Empty Eleven Year Report on a Chinese Elm.

Post  timahlen Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:42 am

In 2002, I purchased an ugly  Chinese elm that was about 26 years old.  Here is a narrative of what I have done with the tree since 2006.

Eleven Year Report on a Chinese Elm. <a href=Eleven Year Report on a Chinese Elm. Slide111" />

Eleven Year Report on a Chinese Elm. Slide210

Eleven Year Report on a Chinese Elm. Slide310

Eleven Year Report on a Chinese Elm. Slide410

Eleven Year Report on a Chinese Elm. Slide510

Eleven Year Report on a Chinese Elm. Slide110

Would appreciate comments, suggestions for the future.

Last edited by timahlen on Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:01 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Updating for 2017)

timahlen

Back to top Go down

Eleven Year Report on a Chinese Elm. Empty Re: Eleven Year Report on a Chinese Elm.

Post  BobbyLane Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:50 am

Very nice image, i think it could benefit from filling out a little though, maybe an extra branch here n there. but maybe you're happy as it is, thanks for sharing Cool

i have read that the fresh new growth can succumb to black spot if kept too wet. i dont always water mine from the top, i do it more when the leaves are of a darker green and hardened off. good air flow is essential, done want leaves staying too wet too long.
BobbyLane
BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Eleven Year Report on a Chinese Elm. Empty re: Ten Year Report on a Chinese Elm

Post  timahlen Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:55 pm

Bobby,

Thanks for the reply. I think that somehow, I allowed the fungus to get into the soil. In 2013, no matter what I did, regarding watering, fungicide use, etc., it didn't work. While it did not kill the tree, I lost a lot of ramification-- the smallest twigs died back. So, this year we have all brand new sterile soil, new pot, complete, intense fungicide treatment of roots, trunk and branches. Now, combined with the good watering practices, proper fertilization, etc., I can get on with the styling objectives.

Tim
Dallas, TX
Zone 8b

timahlen

Back to top Go down

Eleven Year Report on a Chinese Elm. Empty Re: Eleven Year Report on a Chinese Elm.

Post  thomasj Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:14 pm

As I am also in the DFW area I too have to watch for Black Spot at this time of the year on my ch elms, but as noted above no watering from above and even keeping them out of the rain will suffice until the leaves harden off. If it still ends up being a problem the Daconil will complete the job. The only problem I constantly have though with my ch elms is scale and that's usually my fault as I get busy doing other things and not keeping up with the usual maintenance that is required for some trees. Crying or Very sad
thomasj
thomasj

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down