Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

colander breaks down in sun?

2 posters

Go down

colander breaks down in sun? Empty colander breaks down in sun?

Post  bucknbonsai Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:56 pm

Does anyone know if ricewashing bowls and colanders break down in the sun over a couple years? I know Anderson flats don't, im not sure about pond baskets.
bucknbonsai
bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

colander breaks down in sun? Empty Re: colander breaks down in sun?

Post  Marty Weiser Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:08 pm

Most of the plastic collanders and similar household plastic items will break down in the sun since they are not made with UV inhibitors. Most of the black plastic pots and Anderson flats are designed to hold up in the sun. Often the UV inhibitor is carbon black which absorbs the energy instead of the polymer chains. I think the pond baskets are made from the same type of plastic, but it is generally fairly thin so it might not last as long as the heavier pots. One solution to the collanders breakdown would be to paint them with some good quality paint for plastic. The paint would then break down in the UV and protect the underlying plastic for an other year or three.

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Post  bucknbonsai Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:40 pm

thanks. It seems that seedling and sapling stage deciduous material that is receiving selective shoot and root pruning every other year would gain no benefit from these such pots, and that trees with established nebari or trees that you may not be repotting for 5 years would be the main trees that would benefit from air pruning on the roots. Is this correct?
bucknbonsai
bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Marty Weiser Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:36 pm

I agree that it would be best to get a decent nebari started before using colanders and pond baskets to encourage fast growth by being able to water and fertilize heavily. However, one of the biggest uses I have seen is for pines starting in about year 2 or 3. Often a small colander is used for a couple of years and then it is simply moved to (or even just placed in) a larger colander.

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down