Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Small ivy accent

5 posters

Go down

Small ivy accent Empty Small ivy accent

Post  Tom Simonyi Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:59 pm

Small ivy accent Ivy_2010

I am uncertain of the cultivar of this Hedera.....
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Small ivy accent Empty Re: Small ivy accent

Post  Kakejiku Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:27 pm

Interesting pot, and it looks like you set a byoubu for the background.
Kakejiku
Kakejiku

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:12 pm

I appreciate your input and you are right....it is a small byoubu that I used for the background. It is actually the back of the byoubu, not the front, that is showing. The composition measures five inches in height from the table....the pot is two inches tall and the ivy is three inches tall....just fyi.

Tom
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:13 pm

Very nice, Tom!
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:15 pm

Thank you, Jim, It is good to hear from you. I hope that you are feeling as well as possible these days. I sincerely wish you and your family a peaceful and joyful Christmas and New Year.

Best regards,
Tom
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:57 pm

When I think of Ivy, I picture something that climbs, something reaching for the sky. I like the long upward design of the pot. I picture the Ivy itself in more of a literati style in it's movement upwards. This design being more suggestive of the plant's nature.

also like the use of everyday elements like Ivy that we tend to take for granted. One of my favorites is a dandelion weed in it's many forms, buds, blooming, seeds
ready to be carried by the wind.

A famous Haiku poet (whose name escapes me) wrote (loosely quoting) I seek the same place as others, just not the same paths.

...Smile

dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:46 pm

I very much appreciate your thoughts and insight, Dick...

Best regards,
Tom
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  Kakejiku Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:09 pm

dick benbow wrote:  
When I think of Ivy, I picture  something that climbs, something reaching for the sky. I like the long upward design of the pot. I picture the Ivy itself in more of a literati style in it's movement upwards. This design being more suggestive of the plant's nature.

This is very true, but the Ivy is also a ground creeping plant. So one possible design is to use this with that form in mind and then use a thrush (Robin?) or warbler in a scroll, when the berries have ripened. I guess the question is what type of tree and design of the tree you would use if this were the setup?
Kakejiku
Kakejiku

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:27 pm

sensei....always challenging your students...Smile

Berries would indicate a very late summer, early fall seasonality. So depending I may be inclined to use some deciduous type beginning to show color. If no color yet, I might consider an evergreen type in a sinuous or raft style that crawls along close to the ground.
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Kakejiku Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:29 pm

I was not teaching just musing to myself...It seems to me that you could provide a visual of a climbing ivy by utilizing a literati bonsai as the main tree...
Kakejiku
Kakejiku

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:59 pm

dick benbow wrote:sensei....always challenging your students...Smile

Berries would indicate a very late summer, early fall seasonality. So depending I may be inclined to use some deciduous type beginning to show color. If no color yet, I might consider an evergreen type in a sinuous or raft style that crawls along close to the ground.

But ivy (Hedera species, anyway) has fruit over the winter?'
Tom
Tom

Back to top Go down

Post  Kakejiku Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:02 pm

Tom wrote:
dick benbow wrote:sensei....always challenging your students...Smile

But ivy (Hedera species, anyway) has fruit over the winter?'

You are right. But the birds at least most mentioned would still work as many do not migrate during the winter (at least where I live)...Below is copied from Wikipedia.

The fruit is a greenish-black, dark purple or (rarely) yellow berry 5–10 mm diameter with one to five seeds, ripening in late winter to mid-spring. The seeds are dispersed by birds which eat the berries.
Kakejiku
Kakejiku

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down