Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

is "bonsai pot" redundant ?

3 posters

Go down

is "bonsai pot" redundant ? Empty is "bonsai pot" redundant ?

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:02 pm

as i ponder alternative english words for bonsai it is difficult to come up with something that is not cumbersome and does need much additional explanation, though i do have a couple ideas...

but in that pondering, i came to realize that the term "bonsai pot" may be redundant...

if bonsai means tree in pot (or tray), then the word "pot" is being said twice when saying "bonsai pot"

if speaking japanese, would that be "bonsai bon" ?

just thinking out loud... scratch
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

is "bonsai pot" redundant ? Empty Re: is "bonsai pot" redundant ?

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:09 pm

btw... i can just imagine jim (and others) going: ***sigh*** and doing this Rolling Eyes in my general direction

lol!
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:12 pm

Sigh
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:18 pm

i am literally laughing out loud... no emoticon needed.

thank you jim.
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:42 pm

I don't speak Japanese but it would be interesting to know how the Japanese solve this, er... very existential question that prevents us from spending our time and thoughts on more trivial matters like having a beer while working on our trees (joking!).

For instance, one can say "useful tools". In French "outils utiles": the etymologgy is even more obvious, it's a kind of pleonasm actually since the words "outils", and "utiles" have the same origin, the latin "utilis" (useful). http://www.etymonline.com gives another etymology for the English "tool", but they don't get as far as indo-european, so maybe...

For the capillotracting  (literal translation of the French "capillotracteur", those who try to split a hair into four parts, "couper les cheveux en quatre" - vertically of course, otherwise, where's the fun?) linguists:

http://atilf.atilf.fr wrote: Du b. lat. *, sing. de *, plur. neutre, altération du lat. class. «objets nécessaires, meubles, ustensiles», dér. de «se servir de, employer».

Razz

PS: Google translate:

bonsaï pot => 盆栽鉢
Pot à bonsaï => 盆栽鉢 (same translation)
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down