Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Progression of a Casuarina

+28
Andre Beaurain
giufo
luke308
efishn
Xavier de Lapeyre
Bob Pressler
Russell Coker
Sam Ogranaja
Ka Pabling
Robert Steven
Tona
Brett Summers
xuan le
greenstar
Paul Landis
William Feldman
John Quinn
Rob Kempinski
Norma
Jaco Kriek
irene_b
Pavel Slovák
Ed Trout
hiram
cosmos
anttal63
Rob Addonizio
dorothy7774
32 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Progression of a Casuarina - Page 2 Empty Re: Progression of a Casuarina

Post  Paul Landis Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:20 am

William--I have 2 casaurina that I got at the Eric Weigert workshop at Bill Valvanis' Shohin syposium this fall. There are two kinds of casaurina(equisetifolia and lepidolpholia) but I have one of each and they have both been under lights since early November. I'm just north of Philly(6A). They have been doing just fine under lights 16hrs a day and the avg temp is about 63. I will say this---they are in kind of a stasis mode. There is not much growth--but there is some. The lepidolphloia seems to be putting on a bit more growth than the equisetifolia.
There is not nearly enough growth to do any work--so my sense is that any real growth and and work will have to be accomplished during the summer here which means it will take much longer to develop the tree than the ones in Florida. I Have the lights (fluorescent) right down about 1 inch over the foliage.
Paul Landis
Paul Landis

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Sat May 28, 2011 11:32 pm

Quick update:

Progression of a Casuarina - Page 2 Casuar10

and

Progression of a Casuarina - Page 2 Casuar11

Progression of a Casuarina - Page 2 Casuar12 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  greenstar Sun May 29, 2011 12:12 am

I very like your bonsai trees.Thank for sharing.
Greenstar!
greenstar
greenstar

Back to top Go down

Post  xuan le Sun May 29, 2011 1:06 am

Very nice progression and Dorothy I like the way you do do the carving. Keep posting its progress.
William, I bought a small Casuarina from Martha Meehan last years and it seems to do well in Winter together with my other tropicals
Xuan

xuan le

Back to top Go down

Post  Brett Summers Sun May 29, 2011 7:59 am

Some people seem to have no worries collecting and transplanting casuarina. Others can't win. I have a theory that it has alot to do with the variety of the species. I have never removed all the leaves before though and I have never lost one.
Love yours Dorothy. Especially the shot on show at the shopping mall.

Brett Summers

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Sun May 29, 2011 11:48 am

Very nice Dorothy, I like your concept for the winding shari.

BTW, Australian pine is a great bonsai if you like to work on bonsai, they grow so darn fast, and throw buds everywhere especailly this time of year. Smile One can work on them every day.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Tona Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:36 pm

Dorothy,
I'm new to the forum and love your trees. You are a talent! Thank you for posting all of the pics and progressions. Not to drag up an pld post, but I loved the Hollywood Juniper posts a while back. Are you posting new pics of the current tree. I have two that I am working on here in California.
Steve
Tona
Tona

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:34 am

I saw it Dorothy..very nice Casuarina. Just be very very careful with the deadwood on Casuarina, they can hardly last too long...
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:47 am

Hi Robert.

I sent you PM regarding Casuarinas. Might help others if I asked it here too.
Is it not advisable for the specie to be designed with deadwood feature? how long would it last?

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:38 am

Not at all if you are expecting the jin like on Junipers or pines, because deadwood in Casuarina will rot out very easily even well taken care...even worse in the high humidity climate as you and we have... My Casuarina, the best I had ever had and taken care, only last less than 5 years...

We always avoid any open cuts and heal all the scars. So for Casuarina, we either make a perfect un-defective style or make an extreme design with only thin cambium trunk in literati style (let all the wood rotten out)...
In the case of Dorothy's, if it rotten out one day..she can still re-style it in an extreme literati...so it will still be a nice bonsai.

This is one of my Casuarina I need to transform the style due to the rotting trunk...

Progression of a Casuarina - Page 2 Transf10
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:26 pm

Thanks Robert!
I'll consider this in the design of my casuarinas, most have open deadwoods.

Nice tree by the way, I saw this in your "mission of transformation" book that I borrowed from a friend. By the way is the book still available? please PM me on how to avail it.

regards,
jun
Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:30 pm

Yes, you can order both of my books "Vision of My Soul" and "Mission of Transformation" through www.stonelantern.com
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:53 pm

Thanks Robert!

i saw the book. very elegant and informative too. I'll order both books. Kindly sign it for me...I'm your biggest fan. hehehe.

Sorry Dorothy, it so difficult to get hold of Robert...a very busy man.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:46 pm

Tona wrote:Dorothy,
I'm new to the forum and love your trees. You are a talent! Thank you for posting all of the pics and progressions. Not to drag up an pld post, but I loved the Hollywood Juniper posts a while back. Are you posting new pics of the current tree. I have two that I am working on here in California.
Steve

Hi Tona,

welcome to IBC! This is a good place to be. Here is a pic of the juniper you are talking about, I just took it. Torulosa takes quite some time to develop pads, seems like. I thinned out the tree a few days ago:

Progression of a Casuarina - Page 2 Torulo12

dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:52 pm

Hey Robert,

good to hear from you! I have heard about the deadwood with Cauarinas several times now and am considering less deadwood in general when planning one. The literati you recall is doing fine - for now. However, I never "finished" pulling the bark off around the trunk (twist). Mainly because of what you told me about the deadwood.

Jun, whatever it takes to communicate with Robert! He is a great artist, isn't he..

-dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:50 am

dorothy7774 wrote:Hey Robert,

good to hear from you! I have heard about the deadwood with Cauarinas several times now and am considering less deadwood in general when planning one. The literati you recall is doing fine - for now. However, I never "finished" pulling the bark off around the trunk (twist). Mainly because of what you told me about the deadwood.

Jun, whatever it takes to communicate with Robert! He is a great artist, isn't he..

-dorothy

...yes Dorothy, He is a great artist. his works are very different from the "rest". Always with movement and the powerful "story" of the tree is always present in his works. In the west John Naka made a famous statement "....try to make your bonsai look like a tree"...I think Robert moved beyond those words.
...and for the artists around here, and the "artists" trying hard to be (including me hehehe), I suggests to try to study his works, you'll probably pick up a lesson or two.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ka Pabling Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:44 pm

-dorothy

Hi Dorothy,
I love your casuarina the way you made it, its true that casuarinas will not tolerate man made sharis and jins but then it will take years before what you fear happens so in the meantime, enjoy your tree the way it is.Next time, you get casuarina materials with natural sharis, all my casuarinas have natural sharis,some were collected 10 years ago and the sharis are as good as when they were collected,

Best regards
ka pabling
Ka Pabling
Ka Pabling

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:40 pm

Ka Pabling wrote:

-dorothy

Hi Dorothy,
I love your casuarina the way you made it, its true that casuarinas will not tolerate man made sharis and jins but then it will take years before what you fear happens so in the meantime, enjoy your tree the way it is.Next time, you get casuarina materials with natural sharis, all my casuarinas have natural sharis,some were collected 10 years ago and the sharis are as good as when they were collected,

Best regards
ka pabling

Ka,

I wished I could find Casuarinas with natural shari! Next time we have a storm, I will leave all my Casuarina material outside, in the middle of the yard, instead of protecting them from the elements. Not that I am daring a future storm, but somehow I'd like to take advantage of a quick nature fix.. Laughing

-dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:41 pm

jun wrote:..

...and for the artists around here, and the "artists" trying hard to be (including me hehehe), I suggests to try to study his works, you'll probably pick up a lesson or two.

regards,
jun Smile

Or three..Wink

-dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  Ka Pabling Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:58 am

Hi Dorothy

To wait for storms to do the shari for you? why not, it will be done in 10 years or so.
Most of the casuarina bonsai materials we have here have sharis . These trees were probably cut by chainsaws,burned by kaingeros,struck by lightning etc etc and they survived to become stunning, and exotic bonsais. Those that did not encounter these calamities grew into large, straight healthy trees.

I am sure you can also find some somedays, Its part of our bonsai journey.

Best regards,

ka pabling

ps, dont buy a chainsaw

Ka Pabling
Ka Pabling

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:55 pm

Hey Dorothy,

Any more updates on this fantastic tree?

Have a great week!!!
Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:06 pm

Sam Ogranaja wrote:Hey Dorothy,

Have a great week!!!
Sam

Hi Sam, I can tell you like the tree..It's doing great. I trimmed it back hard last month, the apex was getting too strong. It's getting bushy again.

dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:11 pm

dorothy7774 wrote:
Sam Ogranaja wrote:Hey Dorothy,

Have a great week!!!
Sam

Hi Sam, I can tell you like the tree..It's doing great. I trimmed it back hard last month, the apex was getting too strong. It's getting bushy again.

Girl, where you been??

Glad to see you, and this great tree, back again. Thanks for the ficus thread too!

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:33 pm

Russell Coker wrote:..

Girl, where you been??

Glad to see you, and this great tree, back again. Thanks for the ficus thread too!

R

Thanks. I am spending too much time on facebook, I guess..

-Dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pressler Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:39 pm

Dorothy
Would you talk about how you create and maintain your foliage pads. Thanks.
Bob Pressler
Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next